Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a few new toys in my tacklebox for this summer

Default Have a few new toys in my tacklebox for this summer

20190606_101110.jpg

Will give these a try under different conditions: size/type of fish, depth, downrigger/spare rod/electric reel, etc.

No floaters this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    20190606_101110.jpg
    No floaters this year.
    Good goal! I'm with you.

New tackle toys is a good topic on the larger scale too.

I'll add to it. I picked up some of these curious rigs for a try. It's early in the season yet, but they've already earned a permanent place in my box. There are times when kings like a whole herring with a fast tight spin like a screw boring into wood, and these sure do the job. I'm betting silvers will go nuts for them, but have to wait a couple of months to find out for sure. BTW- I bought them for trials with big herring, though they appear designed for sizes around green tray. Sure work with black tray too, though. Easy way to get a tight fast spin on whole herring without a lot of fiddling. The spin is tighter and with less "tail kick" than familiar nose clips, which appears to be a good thing.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good goal! I'm with you.

I'll add to it. I picked up some of these curious rigs for a try. It's early in the season yet, but they've already earned a permanent place in my box. There are times when kings like a whole herring with a fast tight spin like a screw boring into wood, and these sure do the job. I'm betting silvers will go nuts for them, but have to wait a couple of months to find out for sure. BTW- I bought them for trials with big herring, though they appear designed for sizes around green tray. Sure work with black tray too, though. Easy way to get a tight fast spin on whole herring without a lot of fiddling. The spin is tighter and with less "tail kick" than familiar nose clips, which appears to be a good thing.
    Did you have to order, or did you find them local?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I ordered, and shipping was quick. Dunno of any local sources in Alaska, but then again I didn't look at their list of dealers. All I can tell you is that I knew local stores didn't have them, and that sent me to their order form.

I got the clear sliding rigs, which come with 2 approx 3/0 high grade octopus hooks. The fixed rig tempted me, but we hook too many fish on the front hook to be willing to go with only a single hook back at the tail. Nicely assembled with quality components. They come with a few spare pegs for the front, but I'll be switching to toothpicks when those are gone. I also got a pack of their rubber bands, though so far haven't lost any to fish.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Good goal! I'm with you.

They look similar to the FBR... I used the FBR on silvers in Prince William Sound and my Dad used them in Cook Inlet on kings and they worked well in both places.. http://www.sheltonproducts.com/
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I see the similarities. Really like their Baitbander. Thanks for the pointer, cuzz I'm always looking to try new ideas. I'll head that way for a closer look.

EDIT: Ordered some. Thanks.
    Merle Haggard

You guys just cost me another $100...

Quote Originally Posted by grantypoo View Post
    You guys just cost me another $100...
    That's our job! Us outdoor types have to stick together.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    They look similar to the FBR... I used the FBR on silvers in Prince William Sound and my Dad used them in Cook Inlet on kings and they worked well in both places.. http://www.sheltonproducts.com/
    I've picked up 4 kings on the FBR so far in Homer, one each weekend I've tried it. I'm sold. Gonna get a few of these limit out rigs for sure tho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

You can get the FBR at B&J's
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    You can get the FBR at B&J's
    Yep, not sure they have all the colors. You can buy replacement parts on the website. I have worn a couple of mine out and replaced the hook and tube. They do seem to hook up good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

To tell the whole story, I'm an old hand and skilled at rigging both whole herring and cut plugs. But my wife cobbles it up every time she tries it, then I have to deal with a boatload of attitude when I rerig her baits. So mostly I'm the one baiting while also driving the boat, since she can cobble that up too in the close quarters where we troll around obstructions in the shallows.

Soooo, I'm looking for a rig she can do herself with good results. Mostly for domestic harmony! The Limit Outs have turned the corner for her, but still a little fiddly. The FBR's look good too. I'm gonna let her pick between them!
    Merle Haggard

To tell the whole story, I'm an old hand and skilled at rigging both whole herring and cut plugs. But my wife cobbles it up every time she tries it, then I have to deal with a boatload of attitude when I rerig her baits. So mostly I'm the one baiting while also driving the boat, since she can cobble that up too in the close quarters where we troll around obstructions in the shallows.

Soooo, I'm looking for a rig she can do herself with good results. Mostly for domestic harmony! The Limit Outs have turned the corner for her, but still a little fiddly. The FBR's look good too. I'm gonna let her pick between them!
    I like FBR's since they have a stainless wire spring that sticks through the head to hold the herring. To rrbait you just lift the spring, dump the old head, shove in new bait and drop the spring.

I hope your wife is not a member here.

I like FBR's since they have a stainless wire spring that sticks through the head to hold the herring. To rrbait you just lift the spring, dump the old head, shove in new bait and drop the spring.

I hope your wife is not a member here.

That has my attention, too. As for my wife, she reads over my shoulder all the time. And only once in a while smacks me on the back of the head!
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    20190606_101110.jpg

Will give these a try under different conditions: size/type of fish, depth, downrigger/spare rod/electric reel, etc.

No floaters this year.
    You will like the Seaqualizer
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I just tried my seaquilizer and it seemed to work great. I dropped it down with the downrigger and wasn't sure how deep it would actually release. It is set for 100' so the first time I sent it down to 130, waited a few and brought it back up. Then I happened to look at my sonar and you could see the ball drop to 130 but see the fish release higher and also watch that fishdrop all the way down to the bottom. I wish I took a pic because it looked real cool. The next time I dropped it down to 100 and went up to see the sonar and I could see a line dropping off but it didn't track it all of the way down, it must have veered off too far. Very cool tool and works slick with an electric downrigger.

I had used the Shelton for a 3-4 years but upgraded to the seaquilizer last year. I really like the seaquilizer. I use it on a rod with braid and I can feel the device click open when the release is triggered at depth.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Have to come back with a sad report on both the Limit Out and FBR's. They both spin herring really well and are easy to use. But they've cost me a whole lot of missed hits. Yesterday we were 4 for 5 on misses. Two days before it was 3 for 3 on misses. The kings sure tear up the herring, but if they're hooked it's very brief.

Most of our kings up in the shallow are "head biters." I now suspect that those pretty heads and their fins are just too darned big for head hits. And looking at the rigs after all that, the heads sure have a lot of teeth marks on them, but our fish box is starting to feel lonely. We almost never miss hits using cut plugs, and a guy only gets so many hits in a day or a season.

It's back to me rigging cutplugs and my wife cussing, but she likes kings on her line enough to swallow her pride in not being able to rig cut plugs. I've passed all my Limit Out's and FBR's along to another good king troller who mostly sticks to deeper water and downriggers to see if they work better for him. Worth the money to try them, but worth more than money for me to pass them along to another curious mind.
    Merle Haggard

That's not super encouraging to read...

I ordered some of the FBRs and received them like two days later, very fast shipping. A nice change.

I've used similar and had good results, but I'll see if I have the same experience as you. If so, I'm dropping them faster than a hot rock, as I dont get that many opportunities to fish and I'm not going to waste them. I like the FBR idea, maybe I need to work on some sort of rig to get a hook right up by their head as well as far back on the body.

You can adjust the hook location on the fbr using the sliding sleeve. Sometimes I put the hook through the tail, that helped with silvers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast