Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds in the Russian

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    And just a reminder from something I discovered for the first time last year...

"A bead fished on the line above a bare single hook is legal gear in waters where only flies may be used."

I like that setup and have used it in the lower Kenai myself. What size hook are you running with this setup out of curiosity?

I floated through the Sanctuary on Tuesday. It was bank to bank full of reds. I imagine today it is shoulder to shoulder with fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    I like that setup and have used it in the lower Kenai myself. What size hook are you running with this setup out of curiosity?
    Gamakatsu 2/0 Nautilus Circle.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Fishing is good - was hard to go three casts without hooking up today.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Fishing is good - was hard to go three casts without hooking up today.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Mother of God that is a school of fish right there! Were you up by the falls to get that second photo of the school?

Limited out in around an hour last night, was good fishing for sure!

It's a MEGA run of early RR reds. Lower goal has already been met in under a week!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Did well on the Kenai near Soldotna this weekend. Easy limits but the water is roughly 2' low and muddy. Fish were 4-5# average.
    How close to tide water were you? 4-5 lb sounds small. And the fish in the picture looks small.... Could they have been fish nosing in and out of the river I wonder? More like 6-7 lb for early run Russian river fish at the Russian itself has been my experience over the years.

Not overly crowded today.
    I went up stream.
    looked like everyone had fish
    on stringers as I walked back from
    slide hole with a limit.

6/day
    weekend might attract a crowd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    It's a MEGA run of early RR reds. Lower goal has already been met in under a week!
    Upper goal surpassed 4 days later!
    The KeenEye MD

My son and I had a great time Wednesday and Thursday and caught our fish even though we are fairly new to flipping.

A man was fishing near us and caught 4 fish on 5 casts, all legal. He showed me what he was doing and gave me several flies he was using but I still could not come close to his success rate.

What are some of the fine details of flipping that new people overlook?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    My son and I had a great time Wednesday and Thursday and caught our fish even though we are fairly new to flipping.

A man was fishing near us and caught 4 fish on 5 casts, all legal. He showed me what he was doing and gave me several flies he was using but I still could not come close to his success rate.

What are some of the fine details of flipping that new people overlook?
    I don't know that there are any "fine details". Most of it is common sense if you really think about it. I'll point out some of the mistakes that I see commonly.

1. Standing too far out. Often the fish are very close to shore. See a lot of people out there way too far out.
    2. The kenai twitch. Jerking the rod at the end of every drift just isn't necessary. It's blatant snagging and is NOT any more effective than just a normal swing. In fact I'd argue it' LESS effective.
    3. Moving for the sake of moving to find a "better" spot. Are some spots better than others, absolutely. But the reality is that all the fish are swimming by everyone. You just need to find the zone where they are and figure out a good swing through that keeps the pointy bits in the general vicinity of the fishes noggins. Once you find it-Don't freaking move. Your swing is good, the fish are there. If it aint broke... Triangulate your position somehow. Fish carcasses, trees, boat bows, whatever. Consistency kills.
    4. Not thinking about their setup. People rigging up completely at the truck kill me. Until you are standing in the water, swinging through, how could you possibly know how much weight you need and how far up? Swing and adjust. And adjust, and adjust again as necessary. If you're consistently snagging fish in the back, adjust. If you're consistently snagging bellies, adjust. Length of leader, and amount of weight is a variable based on so many things. Pretty tough to know exactly what you're dealing with from the bed of the truck.
    5. Can't fight fish. I get it. We all start somewhere. But some people are really really bad at fighting fish. I harp on my wife all the time about it. Stop reacting to the fish and start controlling the fish. Once the sharp end is buried in (on??) the mouth, you're in the drivers seat. Act like it. Fishing a 9' rod even something as simple as flipping the rod into the bank side makes a big difference. Why give the fish that much extra room to stay in the deeper faster water? Rod inside, turn their head. And when you net fish, lift their heads. Constantly to my wife-- you're in control, NOT the other way around. Yeah. Stuff happens. Sometimes you can't do anything but hold on. But usually, after that first 15 seconds, it's in your hands.
    6. Speaking of snagged fish. If you hook up and you KNOW it's snagged (and you should know). Just slack off. Generally speaking fish snagged in the body or tail are fighting because you're applying pressure. Slack off. A solid amount of the time an the fish will simply just jump back into traffic and be swimming right by you in a minute. Keep pressure on and he's running. Slack it off, and wait. He'll swim up past you again an usually you can either resume the fight with it right next to you, or the hook might just fall out without any pressure and the change in angles, or you can cut the line and lose a whole lot less if he situation warrants.
    7. Hook sets. Low and downstream. Some comical hook sets out there.
    8. Giving up. Fish push in waves. Sometimes you show up and it's hot and you're done in 30 minutes. Sometimes not. To consistently get limits, you have to persevere through the slower times. It' happens to almost everyone. Bottom line, you definitely aren't going to catch fish if the hook isn't in the water. If everyone up and down from you is catching fish and you aren't- then you are doing something wrong. Adjust. If they aren't- the maybe you're fine- just hold fast and keep on fishing. If one guy or gal shows up and catches a limit in 5 minutes and no one else is hooking up- then everyone else is doing something wrong. The fish are there, he or she just proved it. So adjust and figure it out.

Any new updates on the river, conditions, amount of fish moving, et?

Limit on the Russian just upped to 9.

Was just reading that,
    starting Wednesday
    i just carried 10 out,
    Back pack “”way “” too heavy

Nice to have lots of fish in the
    news for a change

Emergency order for 9 fish limit starts at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday the 19th.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

No need to go dip netting this year.
    12 reds in freezer

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    12 reds in freezer
    I guess you don't eat much fish?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    12 reds in freezer
    Nice to see your not a fish hog ! I'd bet there will be all kinds of fish wasted freezer burned next spring.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast