Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Reds in the Russian

  1. #1
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,481

    Default Reds in the Russian

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...&SpeciesID=421

    early or on time?
    I heard early ....
    due to Cook Inlet
    water temp° is warmer .

    Whens it open for fishing?

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,820

    Default

    It opens on the 11th.

  3. #3
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Lots of reds being caught in the lower mainstem Kenai the past week. Gonna be a STRONG run of early Russian sox. Expect an EO to open the sanctuary not long after opening day.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  4. #4
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I heard the west side, Big River run was a
    week early.
    Most were in the lake before
    set netter’s season opened.
    Number control is
    up to the bears & guides now.

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,820

    Default

    Seems like the Seward run was early as well. Not sure how consistent such things are across different systems, but perhaps a good sign for a strong opening week?

  6. #6

    Default

    Did well on the Kenai near Soldotna this weekend. Easy limits but the water is roughly 2' low and muddy. Fish were 4-5# average.
    Attached Images Attached Images


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  7. #7
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    ….Fish were 4-5# average.
    That's a Russian river red for ya.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  8. #8
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Anxious to see the opening day report... anyone?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    On the River Of life
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Did well on the Kenai near Soldotna this weekend. Easy limits but the water is roughly 2' low and muddy. Fish were 4-5# average.
    Nice and chrome tho... Makes me hungry just looking at it! Really looking forward to hitting it hard next week!

  10. #10

    Default

    Looks like they feel it will be a good year, opening the sanctuary tomorrow at 8am

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2019&NRID=2759

    Russian River Sanctuary Opens Early for Sport Fishing


    (Soldotna) – The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) is implementing the following sport fishing regulation liberalization by opening the Russian River Sanctuary area early for anglers to sport fish for sockeye salmon. This regulatory change is effective 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, June 12 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, July 14, 2019. Anglers please note that the Russian River Sanctuary Area is Area B in the map below. For addition information on the Upper Kenai River and Russian River Confluence Area, please review page 60 of the 2019 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet.

  11. #11
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    That didn't take long!

    More than a third of the way to goal in only three days, and the bulk of the run has yet to arrive.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  12. #12
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    And just a reminder from something I discovered for the first time last year...

    "A bead fished on the line above a bare single hook is legal gear in waters where only flies may be used."

    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  13. #13
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    And just a reminder from something I discovered for the first time last year...

    "A bead fished on the line above a bare single hook is legal gear in waters where only flies may be used."

    Classic Ship Creek ripping set up.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  14. #14
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Classic Ship Creek ripping set up.
    SERIALLY?

    If only we could get every guy at Ship to floss with a circle hook... and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  15. #15
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    565

    Default

    I was told the troopers had to kill a black bear up in one of the parking lots this morning.

  16. #16
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    You've spent a lot of time pulling plugs for kings and I assume silvers. Honest question, how many sockeye have you hooked on plugs?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  17. #17
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    You've spent a lot of time pulling plugs for kings and I assume silvers. Honest question, how many sockeye have you hooked on plugs?
    The ones swimming by me in tidewater have next to ZERO interest in my plugs... they're on a mission to boogie on up river. For every one that bites I'd bet at least 500 others marched right on by.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  18. #18
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The ones swimming by me in tidewater have next to ZERO interest in my plugs... they're on a mission to boogie on up river. For every one that bites I'd bet at least 500 others marched right on by.
    For some dumb reason, I will limit out before the vast majority of flossers/snaggers using other gear than a big hook and a tiny bead. You know reds willingly bite. Why not promote that concept. If you get one willing biter out of ten, does that not increase your success? I'm just surprised you are so reluctant to use gear that could elicit a strike and instead use flossing gear. Not judging, just surprised that someone like yourself who's spent countless hours chasing reds has not embraced that sockeye success can be elevated with flies/lures that sockeye will bite. All of the guides pulling pink wiggle-warts at the outlet of Skilak for reds can't be wrong.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    ….All of the guides pulling pink wiggle-warts at the outlet of Skilak for reds can't be wrong.
    Doing the same in Kenai lake....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    For some dumb reason, I will limit out before the vast majority of flossers/snaggers using other gear than a big hook and a tiny bead. You know reds willingly bite. Why not promote that concept. If you get one willing biter out of ten, does that not increase your success? I'm just surprised you are so reluctant to use gear that could elicit a strike and instead use flossing gear. Not judging, just surprised that someone like yourself who's spent countless hours chasing reds has not embraced that sockeye success can be elevated with flies/lures that sockeye will bite. All of the guides pulling pink wiggle-warts at the outlet of Skilak for reds can't be wrong.
    I've always been curious why they bite near the lake but not on the main stem of the river. I've caught countless Sockeye on spinners and plugs by the lake but never anywhere below.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •