Thread: New Cabin build

Default New Cabin build

Well finally able to break ground last week on our new cabin build. Really wish I would have dug my footer holes last fall to give me an earlier jump on the spring building season but it is what it is. We are putting up a 18 x 24 D Log cabin with lumber from Forget Me Not Cabins out of Houston. After a lot of research and recommendations on here I decided to go with a post on pad foundation. I built 2’ x 2’ x 10” forms and filled with concrete and rebar setting the post bases in the wet concrete. That’s pretty much where I am at. Oh that and about 100 logs left to peel. I will update as the build progresses for those that are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jinak123 View Post
    Oh that and about 100 logs left to peel. I will update as the build progresses for those that are interested.
    I'm flashing back to my days peeling logs back in the early 80s. Keep your draw knife sharp and your Ibuprofen handy.

Hi Jinak123! I've known Michael Strahan for a couple of years and he knows more about the Alaska wilderness than anyone I know. I joined this site, as I cast a number of television series in Alaska. I'm presently looking for remote cabin/home builds that are beginning this summer. Might this opportunity be of interest to you? If so, please let me know. email is cbaggish@dorseytv.com
    You can see the casting notice under the forum, shows casting in Alaska.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Youre making some progress. Once you get out of the ground it goes faster.
    Are you peeling by hand or using flapper wheels to clean the bark off?
    Think about wrapping your posts in plastic to give the ground a slip layer during frost/ground movement.

I started peeling by hand but very quickly ordered a Log Wizard for the saw the next day! I didn't really have to go that deep to reach good gravel for my footers so the only soil that will be covering my posts will be about 4-6" of dirt tops. They are embedded into the concrete so I don't think the freeze will pull the the posts up. Now if the whole footer lifts...that might be another story. We shall see I guess.

Thanks

Finished up the floor last week. Hopefully can start stacking some logs this week. Only 12 more logs left to peel.

Thats a good lookin build. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.
    Nick Clegg
    Husband, Father, Hunter,
    Usually in that order
    http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Busy stacking logs. Its been fun watching the progress. A little trial and error figuring out how to make perfect cuts on the d logs so they would butt up to each other tight. The chain saw jig I made didn't quite cut the mustard plus I needed the saw to strip logs while others stacked them. I ended up just using my mitre saw. It was kind of a pain but at least I got nice clean and perfect 90 cuts.

Looks great! Keep posting pictures!

Progress! Rafters are a pain in the a