Thread: Oops, Too much Salt

Question Oops, Too much Salt

Don't know what I did but my smoked salmon is VERY salty or at least much saltier than I prefer. Any suggestions what I can do with it? I did five fish and it is all pretty salty.
    I have taskted other smoked salmon that is a littler sweeter, any suggestions? I was thinking it would be as easy as less salt more sugar?

What kind of brine did you use? I prefer simple mixtures to flavor my smoked salmon. 1 part white wine, and 1 part yoshida's. Let sit for a couple days and then throw it in the smoker with some fresh ground pepper on top.

As far as the salmon you have know, do you have any family or acquaintances you really dont care for?

Default Salmon dip

Make salmon dip with it just dont add salt! Ive done this before.

Use it for sandwich spreads. But instead of using all smoked salmon, use some regular cooked salmon too. Mix it together to lower the salt content. Chopped onions and celery and a healthy dose of mayonnaise will round out the sandwich spread. Good stuff. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by akhopechest View Post
    Don't know what I did but my smoked salmon is VERY salty or at least much saltier than I prefer. Any suggestions what I can do with it? I did five fish and it is all pretty salty.
    I have taskted other smoked salmon that is a littler sweeter, any suggestions? I was thinking it would be as easy as less salt more sugar?

Did ya forget to rinse them after soaking in brine? In the past I've had salty batches that were great in dips and casseroles.

Sketch got it right.

Reduce it with cooked (unsalted) salmon and make sandwich spread and dips.

It is fine to back off on the salt in the brine. Salt originally was used as a preservative, but now we have freezers. Rinsing the fish after brining is a good suggestion.
    Pete

Red face been there, done that

Word to the wise....when using a recipe calling for teaspoons, do not use TABLESPOONS!!!

Sand spread is the way to go, just don't add the salt or garlic you normally would and add fresh cooked if needed.

Or just send it to me and I'll eat it

Can with un-smoked (non-salted) Salmon.