Thread: Willow Creek Shirleytown/Parks

Default Willow Creek Shirleytown/Parks

I floated from the Shirleytown put-in to the Parks Hwy on 6/3/19. The Willow Creek gauge was reading approximately 3.7/1400 CFS. The 2 culverts under the Shirleytown bridge had enough water flowing through them to line my 15’ raft but not enough for me to just ride it through. This was the first time I had floated this section. I’ve previously floated/swam the Guardrail & Red Gate whitewater sections as well floated the lower portion to the mouth so this was my chance to see the rest. i knew there was a point where the advice was to “stay left”. I wasn’t quite sure where that was but now I know....because below the power line crossing I stayed right. The left channels would’ve required a short portage but the far right channel looked open...and it was until it wasn’t. There was a strainer I had to pull my boat over and a couple of low sweepers that required lining the raft under. During this process I managed to slip and enjoy refreshing Willow Creek water down the inside of my waders. Once past the junky section below the power lines the channels rejoined and the rest of the float was uneventful. In hindsight the left channel would’ve been less work.

I fished less than I would’ve liked due to a late start and needing to make it back in time to catch a shuttle from Willow Creek Resort (great service as always). I started by swinging Dali Lamas without any luck and then switched to a bead head prince nymph which yielded a nice grayling. All in all it was a great day on the river...mostly drama free rafting, first fish of the year, and beautiful weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 89CAEE36-935A-436F-B81F-447DE38BA25F.jpg   7B777BAC-474B-458C-87BC-F7F2D20E7FA4.jpg  

Tired but satisfied fishing partners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E15AF448-BC8F-44F1-B625-2FFDEE05D031.jpg  

Nice..............!
    Alaska Armory -- http://www.facebook.com/AlaskaArmory
    Underwood Ammunition Dealer

Thanks for the update on conditions. Always like it when people try to make it safer.