Thread: Rumble Creek in TMA

Default Rumble Creek in TMA

Looking to talk to anyone who's hunted this area, we are getting flown in for the opener in the early season. Super stoked to have won the permit. Can't afford to fly in there twice, so scouting is out. I'm looking for any info about the area. Terrain, water sources in a dry year, places to concentrate or avoid etc... any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Well 525 views and no replies or pm's sent. Got to learn the hard way I suppose. It can take days to learn a new area and sometimes mother nature, in that country, only gives you a couple on a short hunt. We'll do our best I guess.

Flew in there about 30 years ago with one of the air charters and took a respectable 37" sheep,but after the kill,glassin from the high basin we were in saw 3 bunches of rams in a valley that we were told never produced. Think they may have been saving them for someone else. I seem to recall two strips being used at that time, and we were on the upper. Beautiful glaciated sheep country,wish I could be of help, but memory is foggy after all these years. Hope you get a bigun and have a great time.

Thanks Gunner, hope to see similar to what you saw! It must have been something to be in that country 30 yrs ago!

Sorry, can't help you with Rumble Creek, but I did hunt TMA sheep last year and had an amazing trip. One of the (few) downsides of those permits is that people get them only once or maybe twice in a lifetime, and it's lightly hunted. It's possible, if not likely, that of those 500 views, few, if anybody has been in there.

I can say that TMA was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. We flew in with 40 mile, found a decent sheep but no monster, and the weather was great for a late season hunt. I hope you guys have a good trip and enjoy your time as well.

AKJOB,

Glad you got a TMA ram and had a great experience. I'm sure I will have a great experience too, I just love being in sheep country, it cleanses the soul. We are flying in with 40 mile air as well. I suppose you could be right about nobody here on this forum not ever having been there. We'll hit the ground and glass and glass and glass and route find and hunt, that's what makes it fun and why they call it hunting. If mother Nature is kind to us and gives us good weather, I'm sure we'll find some legal rams.

I've been into the TMA but not the Rumble creek area. I can say you'll want a great pair of boots, better fitness, and watch out for porcupines in the lower areas . . . they like to nibble on gear. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    I've been into the TMA but not the Rumble creek area. I can say you'll want a great pair of boots, better fitness, and watch out for porcupines in the lower areas . . . they like to nibble on gear. Good luck!
    Sage advice, quill pigs eat outhouses for goodness sake

When I researched my TMA tag in 2013, I sent questions by PM to folks that had posted about their TMA hunts in the past. Received some great general advice in replies.

There should be a lot of small water sources due to the rock glaciers and snow patches even in a hot year. About half way up a ridge side you will see "green" areas and then bright or shiny "green" areas. The bright green will have a trickle of surface water. Bottom of every basin we checked out had surface water. Rumble creek should have plenty of water down low.

In 2013 we messed up by trying to scout/hunt from above from the start. Flushed rams out of the basin. If we had hunted from below for scouting they would have probably just climbed higher and waited to see what we did if we spooked them.

Review your topo lines. If you note any ridges that appear nearly vertical with stacked topo lines, that ridge face may be nothing but over hanging cliffs depending on bedding planes of the rock layers. You won't see much of anything from above. Sheep will be under the ledges in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    When I researched my TMA tag in 2013, I sent questions by PM to folks that had posted about their TMA hunts in the past. Received some great general advice in replies.

There should be a lot of small water sources due to the rock glaciers and snow patches even in a hot year. About half way up a ridge side you will see "green" areas and then bright or shiny "green" areas. The bright green will have a trickle of surface water. Bottom of every basin we checked out had surface water. Rumble creek should have plenty of water down low.

In 2013 we messed up by trying to scout/hunt from above from the start. Flushed rams out of the basin. If we had hunted from below for scouting they would have probably just climbed higher and waited to see what we did if we spooked them.

Review your topo lines. If you note any ridges that appear nearly vertical with stacked topo lines, that ridge face may be nothing but over hanging cliffs depending on bedding planes of the rock layers. You won't see much of anything from above. Sheep will be under the ledges in the shade.
    More good advice, thanks.

Hunted the TMA in 2014 with my wife and she was successful on a nice broomed ram. We flew in with 40 mile air. We didn't hunt in the specific area you mentioned but not too far from there. We saw a handful of legal rams. I had to look up the drainage you were speaking of on Google earth and while I was looking at it I clicked on the photos icon and it looks like a fella named Gabriel Gersch hiked up from the highway and all the way through from the Paxson side to Tok side (bad*****). He took and posted a ton of pics that might be helpful to you in your recon of the area. Good luck with your hunt.