Thread: Fly out services

Default Fly out services

I'm looking for suggestions on fly-out services leaving from locations on the Kenai Penn. I took the family on one last time we were up and quite frankly had a less-than-positive experience (departed late, didn't have enough hippers, etc). In light of that and the recent problems with a couple other services, I'm a little leery about who we use. There are four of us (wife and kids) and we would probably just be looking for a day trip for silvers, or kinds if any are still around, when we come up next year in early August. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just did a fly out trip Tuesday with Talon Air, although this is my lone voyage I was mildly disappointed. There were 9 of us in the group, due to the waythe pilot wanted the plane was loaded I sat in the front and my brother sat in the back, no problem there, but as we unloaded the pilot made a huge b*tch because my brother and I wanted to fish together and that must've complicated his world too much because he threw the biggest conniption (sp) saying "it doesn't f'ing matter because you'll all be fishing the same spot anyway" and refused to let us get in the same boat, luckily the guides made it right when on the water by swapping a couple guys. 2nd gripe is that this is obviously not set up for the "experienced angler" as we were set up with (IMHO) substandard $20 rods with busted guides etc... and even crappier less than half loaded reels, rusty/corroded hooks and then to top it off,,,,,,,,,,, those cheapo red/white plastic/ $0.10 a dozen "bobbers" for floats . You would think that for $300+ dollars for 4 hours of fishing you could at least get some gear that at least "looks" like salmon gear.
    The silvers weren't in the day we were there (Wolverine Creek) but the day before they slayed 'em, not the guides or the outfitters fault as they did their best to find 'em. We did manage to get limits of Reds and saw 1 (whoopee) 150 lb black bear.
    Now with that being said, if I could bring my own gear next time I'd probably consider using them again. But to expect to use tackle that I wouldn't even let my 6 year old use and pay the kind of cash you dole out on these flights, NO WAY!

My wife and I have a flyout to Big River in two weeks with High Adventure Air. I'll let you know how it was.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

We took a fly out trip with Trail Ridge Air at Lake Hood. Left on time, got picked up on time and got into the fish. they have a number of options available to include guided and unguided. 907 248-0838. I'm, trying to go with them in August but having a little bit of scheduling problems.

Default fly out

We have done a few fly outs with Natron Air out of Soldotna. Tim the pilot is great and loves what he does. These are unguided fly outs for the day and you bring your own gear. We had a ball for Silvers.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll get some more over time. When you only get up there every other year like we do and spend a ton of money, you sure want to have a good experience. I realize that catching fish can't be guaranteed, even in Alaska, but you sure hope the quides are decent and deliver the overall experience you expect.