Thread: Portage Creek 5/31

Default Portage Creek 5/31

Floated Portage Creek today in a 15’ raft and a kayak. The level was high enough to start at the bridge and float easily through the boulder garden just below by staying river right. No sweepers or other major hazards. We took out near the road and did not float to the highway. The level should stay perfect through the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where exactly is the take out at the bridge? Tried to get a look as I drove by this weekend but couldn't really tell. Going to take out new 18" cataraft this week after work one day to test her out.

The bridge is at the Seward Hiway Portage Creek crossing. Don't remember is #1 or #2. The float past the take out on the Portage Valley road is very slow to the point of boring. We have done this float once all the way to highway but 4 times or so to the shorter takeout. The Portage Valley road take out is so much easier, can get trailer right down to the water versus the Seward Hiway take out which is pain in ass. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAK View Post
    The bridge is at the Seward Hiway Portage Creek crossing. Don't remember is #1 or #2. The float past the take out on the Portage Valley road is very slow to the point of boring. We have done this float once all the way to highway but 4 times or so to the shorter takeout. The Portage Valley road take out is so much easier, can get trailer right down to the water versus the Seward Hiway take out which is pain in ass. Not worth the effort in my opinion.
    Awesome, thanks for the help!

All, Did the float on Friday 6/28 with my 18' Leopard with 4 adult men and my buddy's 14" Lion with two guys. Put it at bridge, took out at the valley road listed above. The boulder garden was ok, got hung up once or twice, but this was my first time on my new raft, and I'm also pretty inexperienced at rowing, so that is probably a factor. All in all nice float. Seemed a bit shallow, but never had to drag. I did hit oars on bottom quite a bit. Smoke was better at the lake, then got bad as you got closer to Turnagain. Both put in and take out are super easy-backed trailer right up to water. Thanks to everyone for the pointers. Now looking at other easy floats to get more practice on. Might try the upper 6 mile section next.

The Eagle River to Briggs Bridge is another easy practice river close to town. The best access points are either the North Fork parking lot, or the parking lot at the fire fill station about a mile farther down Eagle River road. I did that one last week to get the boat wet/shakedown. Be aware that if you do the fire fill put in, there is a large logjam about 300 yards downstream. There was one tree down across the main channel to the left. We were able to drag the boats over it and then it was smooth (high water) travel from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningLeverAction View Post
    The Eagle River to Briggs Bridge is another easy practice river close to town. The best access points are either the North Fork parking lot, or the parking lot at the fire fill station about a mile farther down Eagle River road. I did that one last week to get the boat wet/shakedown. Be aware that if you do the fire fill put in, there is a large logjam about 300 yards downstream. There was one tree down across the main channel to the left. We were able to drag the boats over it and then it was smooth (high water) travel from there.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking I'll try the Bridge to Bridge on Knik on Wed afternoon. Hopefully the smoke is a bit better up there vs 6 mile