Thread: Couldn't Help Myself: Ordered Mill, Pedestal Grinder and Surface Grinder

Default Couldn't Help Myself: Ordered Mill, Pedestal Grinder and Surface Grinder

Yeah, you guys are really not helpful to my bank account.

Gotta have a grinder for making the proper toolbits right? 12" Standard Electric, 3 H.P. 3-phase pedestal grinder from Van Buren Arkansas.

Brown & Sharp No. 2 surface grinder for making those small parts really flat from Redfield Michigan.

Precision Matthews TM 10-54 mill.

This thing is like a snowball rolling downhill.

I am stopping for now. I really better build something with these machines or The Boss will be highly displeased...we do not want that...at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Congrats! You don't half step even a little bit! Lol!! I tried sending you a PM but your box is full.

This is something I have been dreaming and planning for for 25 years or so. I am making it happen now.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Yeah, a mill is on my list. Probably be a year or two before that happens though. Still have to assemble my 40x60 metal shop so I have somewhere to put some machines.

Just keep working towards it, it will happen. I ordered a .375 barrel from Brux too! This will be my first rebarrel job; a .378 Weatherby for myself . Now will be tool buying time.

Yeah, there is never an end to the tooling for a lathe or mill. You can end up spending more on tooling than the original machine. Do you have three phase where you are?

Yes sir we do. And it is VERY expensive. I would have to buy the transformers to get it in, for a cool $9k, then I would be charged a premium even if I didn't use any electricity. So I bought a 10hp rotary phase convertor. Should handle the 3hp lathe.

I'm happy for you Nitroman. I never figured you or rbuck351 for the kind to sit around much. My buddy Ray is almost 70 and he spends more time in his tool shop than anywhere. I can remember when he first got his mill and lathe and the learning curve that he endured to get to where he can do anything on those machines. Ray owns a soy mill that delivers a half dozen semi loads of food grade soy flour all over the country daily. He fixes everything himself. last week he was cutting graduated threads on a steel shaft to drive a worm gear. The further the shaft advances onto the worm gear the tighter the threads and the faster the worm gear spins. It was for a feed auger on one of the blender set ups on his mill. I was both intrigued and amazed at what he was doing on his machinery. As Ray put it "Hey they want $900 bucks for that threaded shaft and I can make it in a couple of hours." I would say that his lathe and mill have paid for themselves over and over again. The formulas that go into setting up for making a part or tool are not for the fain of heart. From the many years of reading your post I can see you being right in your element creating stuff on that mill.

Keep us posted on your projects!

Thank you sir for the kind words.