Thread: Quiet Raingear

Default Quiet Raingear

I started a thread in the BOWHUNTING forum after reading several reports from folks on their experience with raingear.
    Specifically, I am looking for QUIET, noiseless raingear for a bow only sheep hunt. I do have Rivers West gear and read a lot of your earlier comments. I agree, they are heavy and slow to dry, but they are extremely quiet, windproof, and waterproof.
    Any experience with Frog Toggs? Are they quiet? What other good choices are there that do not fill up with water and get even heavier when worn?
    I do have another option of medium weight rubberized gear that is white? Anybody have experience using whites while bohunting?
    Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Default Quality alternative

http://www.swazi.co.nz/

top quality,really tough, quite, very waterproof, breathable, and....a bit spendy, but you will be getting what you are paying for.

I would like to be a test subject for any brand offering waterproof and breathable.

I live in Southeast where your choices can be get wet from the weather, or get wet from the gear.

We're still waiting for a real guarantee from any manufacturer or dealer who can keep us dry from the elements, or ourselves.

I was so tied up in my rant I forgot... Frog Toggs are noisy. They feel, and sound like cloth paper.

Also as a post script to my previous... Any manufacturer wanting my business, needs to consider sound.

Rivers West makes some pretty good waterproof fleece. www.riverswest.com

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    Rivers West makes some pretty good waterproof fleece. www.riverswest.com
    I think he's looking for brands besides rivers west.

Wink

I have the frogg toggs, and they are noisey. Seem to be some kind of woven tyvek? They look like they will get quieter with age but i'm not sure.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Hey shphtr, that Swazi gear is some nice looking stuff. You weren't just kidding when you said it was expensive!! Give us some more details of your experience with it please. How much does the Tahr Anorak weigh, is it really quiet, etc. Thanks WW

I spent a good lunch many years ago with the Swazi man Mr. Hughes. I bought some of his wind stopper fleece pants and a few other things, he looked up his customers from Montana and called for a meeting when he came through. I worked for Dana Design at the time and traded him a pack for some other stuff, didn't get any of the great rain gear though (it doesn't rain in Montana anymore apparently).

VERY interesting guy who's been all over the world. He had quite a wild eyed look about him and threw his arms about explaining a hunting trip in outer Mongolia and some of his experiences in Africa. The quiet Montana people in the other booths were a bit shaken.

All I can say is that his fleece is great. Most companies offer thumb holes in their long sleeve fleece shirts now, but he had them in a long time ago. I mostly use the stuff from http://www.outherewear.com/ which will NOT keep you dry in SE Alaska. I was in POW a few months ago with outherewear.com pants and my unders got all soaked in a brief rain shower, didn't even bother to bring the jacket.

Default Quiet Raingear

I have tried several brands, and have learned some lessons from other people's mistakes. The former costs money and time, and the latter, though somewhat subjective, can save you money and inconvenience.

Without going into all the details, I would recommend Helly Hansen Impertech. It's whisper-quiet and 100% waterproof. It is not breathable, but it is vented. I don't believe you will find a good waterproof rain suit that is also consistently waterproof. I say consistently because many brands work for a while, but eventually leak everywhere a thread has penetrated the material at a seam (typically the arms).

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I started a thread in the BOWHUNTING forum after reading several reports from folks on their experience with raingear.
    Specifically, I am looking for QUIET, noiseless raingear for a bow only sheep hunt. I do have Rivers West gear and read a lot of your earlier comments. I agree, they are heavy and slow to dry, but they are extremely quiet, windproof, and waterproof.
    Any experience with Frog Toggs? Are they quiet? What other good choices are there that do not fill up with water and get even heavier when worn?
    I do have another option of medium weight rubberized gear that is white? Anybody have experience using whites while bohunting?
    Thanks everybody for the feedback.
    Cabela's has several, including non Cabela's brands that are quiet. The best ones are very expensive, so i bought a set of Cabela's "Dry Plus jacket and bibs" that work just fine for me. The outer layer is made of a swede material, with a layer of Dry-Plus, but are not insulated. When it gets a little cold, then I wear layers of of windproof fleece underneath.

I also have a set of Kelly Hansen Impertech (?) bibs and jacket (the thin O.D. green) and very comfortable ones), and these too work fine, but the Cabela's are quieter.

Default Raingear

Nothing Breathes When The Outer Fabric Is Wet!

That is why some raingear has underarm zips and other vent systems. Perhaps we're expecting something that can't be obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

That is why some raingear has underarm zips and other vent systems. Perhaps we're expecting something that can't be obtained.

Yup, I don't think there is such a thing as breathable/waterproof. I figure when it rains I will get wet unless I am not moving and have Helly Hanson PVC raingear on or fleece and lightweight breathable raingear. After a while the "breathable" stuff seeps but at least when it quits raining your body heat will push out moisture and you'll dry out quickly. Plus it drys quick hanging in a tree and is not heavy when wet.

I too have some Cabelas stuff with Dry plus and the micro swede whatever it is. It's not that quiet and when it gets wet the micro swede soaks up the water and it's heavy. Takes a while to dry also. It's great for moose hunting, riding on the atv or sitting on a cold hillside in the rain. At the end of the day it will dry in the wall tent with the woodstove going.

You know, for years hunting dear and elk in the mountains of Montana in November I never wore any kind of rain gear. Always wool outer layer and maybe even a cotton orange vest over the wool (regulation). Warm and quiet even when wet. I just always figured I'd rather be wet, warm and quiet than... hot, sweaty and noisy.

Sometimes I think we get to hung up on getting a little wet. As long as you are warm, have clothes that keep you warm when wet and will dry quickly and can get out of the rain eventually it's not a big deal to get wet. Now, it's different if you are wearing cotton, it's cold and cannot get out of the rain. Then it's a bad deal.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Great Feedbac, what about white?

Thanks, great feedback. You guys are helping. The Swazi may be Awesome, but can't afford it right now.
    So the next question is what about WHITE raingear for bowhunting. I have read and heard about guys using it for rifle hunting, but can't recall it being used for bowhunting. Any first hand experience there?
    Last question; you have raingear, but no spotting scope. Would you wear what you have and buy a scope, or get better gear and borrow a scope?
    And by the way, I am not a rock yet, but thanks to Snyd I am getting in better shape each day. It doesn't hurt so bad to get out of bed in the morning after training.

Default scope

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Thanks, great feedback. You guys are helping. The Swazi may be Awesome, but can't afford it right now.
    So the next question is what about WHITE raingear for bowhunting. I have read and heard about guys using it for rifle hunting, but can't recall it being used for bowhunting. Any first hand experience there?
    Last question; you have raingear, but no spotting scope. Would you wear what you have and buy a scope, or get better gear and borrow a scope?
    And by the way, I am not a rock yet, but thanks to Snyd I am getting in better shape each day. It doesn't hurt so bad to get out of bed in the morning after training.
    One way or another (buy or borrow) I'd make sure and take a scope.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Well, to a point perhaps. You have to keep in mind that when one is moving around, the air trapped air between the outer layer and one's body also moves around in all directions. In fact, some water-proof boots are designed with air passages, and these allow for pushing out moist air when one walks around.

sorry for the Rivers West post. I must admit, I didn't read the entire first post.

Default Swazi gear

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Walker View Post
    Hey shphtr, that Swazi gear is some nice looking stuff. You weren't just kidding when you said it was expensive!! Give us some more details of your experience with it please. How much does the Tahr Anorak weigh, is it really quiet, etc. Thanks WW
    I can weigh some of the stuff I have if you really have to know. Suffice it to say it is too heavy for sheep hunting but I really enjoy it for moose hunting since that is not a backpack hunt and weight is not of such paramount importance. Davy's clothing is definitely quality stuff and waterproof. He and Maggie are really serious about quality. The the nap of the exterior seems to be very quite in the bush. I have no regrets regarding my purchases.

stewarts brook,scone, new south wales, australia

Default rain gear

The best hunting and outdoor gear that you can possibly get is New Zealand designed and made, it is made for that specific reason, we use nothing else, any thing made for the south island will be quite suffecient, believe me. I have included some web sites for you to check out.
    www.macpac.co.nz
    www.huntech.co.nz
    www.swazi.co.nz
    www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz
    www.outdooraction.co.nz
    I hope this helps, Anorak's are great

Horseman