Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default How Long?

I have Vibrator type case cleaner, (Lyman). I use it infrequently. I could do without it entirely, but it's handy for cleaning handgun brass, and I've been loading 45 ACP. Prior, I've loaded rifle and revolver.

How many HOURS?? do I run this contraption to get max benefit cleaning? I would like Super Shiney.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For clean but dull looking just use the corn cob media. How long depends on how dirty. I usually let her rip for 1- 2 hrs. Then for super shiny I switch to the crushed walnut shell media that has jewelers rouge in it. Another 1-2 hours. Once done, you can do a quick buff with an old t shirt or dish towel to make em sparkle. If you want to save a little cash I've read that the lizard bedding from a pet store is tons cheaper and works very well for the initial clean.

Mine varies on the dirtiness of the brass, number I put in and the age of the medium. I don't think there is a finite answer of "2 hours" per say. Real old dirty brass I wash in the sink with Dawn and use a Scotch Brite pad to lightly scrub it first. I then set it in a tray by the woodstove to dry out.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

"It depends!"

What media you use. I had more shine with corn, but I thought it packed more. I've been using walnut for years; it doesn't shine as well, but I think it cleans the rough spots better. I still have to pick the grit out of most the primer holes. I tend to use it for far too long before throwing it away. It seems to break down, get dusty & charged (even with dryer sheets), and just doesn't work as well. (Edit: different opinions on corn vs walnut...I'll have to try both again.)

A guy can add some stuff to make it work better. I haven't try any of them.

I have an RCBS unit. I run it for a couple of hours and see how it's doing. If the brass isn't clean enough I'll run it for a couple more hours. I don't let it run all night, but don't know why.

How long to tumble brass depends on what I am doing! I have an older RCBS vibrator, use walnut liter from the pet store and add an ounce or two of NuFinish car polish to the batch. I tend to start the process and leave it for 2-6 hours, while I am doing other things. I attempt to keep ahead of what I am loading so time is not a factor for me.

Thanks.

I'm using the Walnut stuff, with no additive. I reckon I'll hafta do some testing.

I don't think my media is overused. I'll use what's been said here as a guideline.
    Maybe, try some different stuff. Time, out to 6 hours.

Thanks, again.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

If you don't mind a bit of retooling, I have a friend that is using the stainless steel pins in a wax/cleaner solution in a tumbler and it works excellent. Down side for me is it is a bunch messier to clean up after use.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/case-cleaning/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104661180/platinum-series-rotary-tumbler-l/1811194.uts?slotId=3

Unless the brass is fairly clean, brass I have shot and just has powder residue, I will clean in Birchwood Casey brass cleaner first. Then I tumble in Lizard litter with a table spoon of automotive polishing compound and a tablespoon of Cerium oxide.

I have a one gallon jug of the BC brass cleaner mix that I have reused for years. The Lizzard litter comes from a pet shop and is quite fine and does not pack in the primer pocket and lasts a long time. The auto polish can be paste or liquid and has a bit of wax in it and brand doesn't matter. The Cerium oxide is for rock polishing and is used for the fine finish.

Be careful with the BC brass cleaner. When new it only takes about 15/20 seconds to do it's thing. A bit longer if your brass has sat in the woods for years and is black.

It takes an hour or two in the tumbler and will come out looking better than new. It will have a thin wax finish that will keep the brass shiny for years if kept in a zip lock bag. It doesn't do the inside of the case quite as well as the SS pins but the outside is about the same.

often i will start my lizard litter filled tumbler with intentions to get back to things in an hour or two, and forget about it till the next day when i go back out to the garage to grab something unrelated only see it still going. usually have a dab or two of cabelas brash polish mixed in with the media and it comes out fairly shiny. if i don't get to reloading it and it sits out for an extended period of time it will lose some of its shininess. i think using NuFinish car polish would probably keep it shinier for longer. gonna mix that in next time.

Sounds to me like extra time, beyond a couple-three hours, doesn't result in extra shine. Which is pretty much what I wanted to find out.

I also wonder about how much brass I can clean per amount of media. I assume, if the brass is covered, is OK.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

So long as the brass and media stay moving pretty good you haven't overloaded it. How shiny it gets depends more on what you put in the media than more time. Cerium Oxide is a fine rock polish for final finish. Automotive rubbing compound also has a fine abrasive as well as a wax which shines and helps keep the brass from oxidising. A couple of hours should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    So long as the brass and media stay moving pretty good you haven't overloaded it. How shiny it gets depends more on what you put in the media than more time. Cerium Oxide is a fine rock polish for final finish. Automotive rubbing compound also has a fine abrasive as well as a wax which shines and helps keep the brass from oxidising. A couple of hours should be enough.
    Thanks, I'll be doin some testing.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I use the lizard litter too and a squirt of Brasso. Run it overnight and they come out real nice.

I just did just over 500 380 cases. I used homemade liquid case cleaner,
    (1 qt. Water,
    1 Cup Vinegar,
    1 Tablespoon Salt,
    1 Tablespoon Dish Detergent.
    Shake gently for 15-20 minutes, Rinse, then dry. )

After that, I Tumbled them with the Walnut media, for several hours. They are very Shiney. I'll probably reload them.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I love the look of shinny brass. I think it is important to have clean brass and I can't tell the difference on paper between clean and shinny. But darned if I don't like the looks of shinny brass!

Few years ago I bought the gizmo that you put liquid into and it cleans that way. I have used it once.

I often don't tumble brass that is fired out of a center fire rifle, except for the AR and pistol brass that always lands on the ground.

Shinny brass in a leather belt slide, sweet looking!

I like to use the Dillon Rapid Polish in walnut shell media, cleans well and the polish is nice and bright. I fill the tumbler with brass till I see the shells start to roll in the media on the top. About 4 hours and all is clean and ready to load.

A cap full of Nu-Car wax in the tumbler makes a coating on the brass that keeps them shined a long time.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Wal, I yam reluctant to put any kind of Wax or Lubricant a cartridge case. Lest, they might fail to stick to the chamber, on firing.

The idee of shiney Auto brass appeals to me. Also, but less so, revolver cases. Bottlenecks I just clean the necks, usually with steel wool.

Since, I've got the Tumbler, I spose I should use it more.

Thanks for the hep.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

If they don't stick to the chamber, where they gonna go? I believe the pressure required to push the case against the bolt is a lot less than what is required to expand the case to sticking to the chamber. I believe that as the pressure rises the case moves to the bolt before it sticks to the chamber. If it stuck to the chamber before moving to the bolt, straight wall cases would stretch as badly as bottle neck. I have never experienced any issues with wax on cases.

A cap full in a whole tumbler full of media and brass will only put a minute amount on each piece of brass. The end result is a shine that will last a while.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast