Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long?

You guys! After being in and reading the comments, I thought I'd upgrade my brass cleaning. I found a YT video of a guy that went at testing at least somewhat logical. His bottom line was Reptile Bedding (ground walnut shells) was the best media in his study. His time ran from 1 to 2 hours.

I picked up a 10 qt. bag at Petco for $17.99 and then for the extra shine I went to WallyWorld and got some Nu-Finish car wax for $8.72. The bedding is smaller and not as "sharp" as I remember the Lyman walnut being when new. I'll give it a try next time I get some brass to clean.

I bought some Starline 500 S&W brass in Black Oxide from MidSouthShooter's on closeout. I wonder how long it'll take to get it to shine?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If they don't stick to the chamber, where they gonna go? I believe the pressure required to push the case against the bolt is a lot less than what is required to expand the case to sticking to the chamber. I believe that as the pressure rises the case moves to the bolt before it sticks to the chamber. If it stuck to the chamber before moving to the bolt, straight wall cases would stretch as badly as bottle neck. I have never experienced any issues with wax on cases.
    That is a plausible theory.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yesterday I dumped my old media from the RCBS brass cleaner. I added slightly less than half a bowl of the ground walnut shells. I added what I thought to be about a capfull of NuFinish. I tore up and added one Bounce anti-static sheet. Ran the machine for about half an hour to mix well.

I deprimed and added about 50 well used .44 Mag. brass (rounds had been loaded with cast bullets and Unique powder) that had been in storage for several years, about 50 recently shot .45 ACP bass, and about 150 1X range pickup .223/5.56 brass.

At 2 hours there was still some dirty spots on the .223 brass. I ran for another hour. Brass is not super shine, but looks pretty good and is clean other than the primer pockets will need a brush. All the brass I quickly looked at were clean and no media was packed in the primer pockets.

I cleaned some '06 brass today. This was LC66 shot in a M1 Garand and picked up off concrete & clean gravel during good weather. The brass had the primers removed and the crimp removed with a Dillon tool.

I sized the brass using RCBS lube that I wiped off the brass with a cotton rag. Then it was dumped into the RCBS brass cleaner...about filled it up as there was 190 pieces.

At 2 hours the brass looked pretty good with a hint of primer sealer on some brass and slightly dirty primer pockets. I ran it for another hour and saw only a very slight improvement.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I cleaned some '06 brass today. This was LC66 shot in a M1 Garand and picked up off concrete & clean gravel during good weather. The brass had the primers removed and the crimp removed with a Dillon tool.

I sized the brass using RCBS lube that I wiped off the brass with a cotton rag. Then it was dumped into the RCBS brass cleaner...about filled it up as there was 190 pieces.

At 2 hours the brass looked pretty good with a hint of primer sealer on some brass and slightly dirty primer pockets. I ran it for another hour and saw only a very slight improvement.
    For the PPs, I suggest a PP Uniformer. Use a handle or an adapter to a drill motor. First time the PP is uniformed. Thereafter, it is cleaned.

Get good ones from Brownells. They ain't cheap but they're worth every penny.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12