Thread: similar to Lake Louise

Default similar to Lake Louise

Well, I waited too long and both Lake Louise Lodge and The Point Lodge (on the lake) are booked over August 10-13 when I'd planned to take the family there.

What I like about those places is that both offer free canoe use with room rental and have small boat rentals (or at least LLL does). While I had planned to do some trolling, I'm as interested in exploring, letting our 3-year old play in the water, hiking, etc. And we don't have a boat, so canoe/boat availability was perfect.

So, anyone have any suggestions on a similar type lake with similar options to take the family for three nights? We're in Anchorage, so anyplace within 4-5 hours would work. I really want to get our daughter on the water, even if just by canoe, so that's a huge plus.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

did you try wolverine lodge?

Someone else also recommended them, so they are my next call. Thanks!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Just a quick word about Wolverine Lodge, it's a great place and I really like the owners but sometimes the bar can get a little noisy late into the night. The rooms are just down the hall from the bar and I had a difficult time going to sleep even at 2:00 a.m. but I can be overly sensitive to that sometimes. If the noise factor isn't an issue, then the Wolverine lodge gets my recommendation.

Default Might try Nancy Lake area

Possible that there might be a state forest service rental cabin still available for your time period. Nancy lake cabins are very close to the road, not hard to get into.
    Also could probably find canoe rental or possibly small boat rental. I know an outfit called Tippecanoe used to operate in rec. area. good luck!

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Just a quick word about Wolverine Lodge, it's a great place and I really like the owners but sometimes the bar can get a little noisy late into the night. The rooms are just down the hall from the bar and I had a difficult time going to sleep even at 2:00 a.m. but I can be overly sensitive to that sometimes. If the noise factor isn't an issue, then the Wolverine lodge gets my recommendation.

Ditto. I know too many initimate details about a young lady and her friends for my last stay there. It was a tad on the noisey side for me. ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Ditto. I know too many initimate details about a young lady and her friends for my last stay there. It was a tad on the noisey side for me. ;D
    Do they still have "Naughty Nurses" weekend there? My wife and I took her parents up there a few years ago and he STILL hasn't stopped talking about it.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Do they still have "Naughty Nurses" weekend there?
    Nope, no nurses. (I wish) She was an Anchorage snowbunny trying to live up to the reputation of all bunnies.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking Nancy Lakes

Hmmmmm....after these these last few posts, I'm considering Nancy Lakes now. I did already check the cabins there briefly - all filled up for our time frame. But I'll dig a little deeper. If my wife is still talking about this trip years from now, I'd really prefer it not be about the couple down the hall.

Default Another Nancy Lake option

Nickster,
    Sent you a PM

Another option if you tent camp is the Canoe Lake Trails in the Kenai Wildlife Refuge. You can rent a canoe in Stirling, and the lakes are a blast for family trips. We've done several week long family trips there, and I took my son on his 4th birthday for a father/son overnight trip. He talked about that trip for 6 months afterwards.

There is an excellent book that talks about all the lakes and portages.

Check out Byers Lake off the Parks; they have public use cabins, a campground, good trails, incredible scenery, and canoe rentals. My wife and I took our 3 year old, 1 month old, and a couple of sea kayaks in June and had a great time. My 3 year old had a blast in the water, swimming and paddling. The fishing was ok. I believe motors are not allowed, so it is quiet and close.

How about Tangle Lakes off the Denali Hwy....... Great Fishing

Ditto on Tangle Lakes....Non stop action for grayling. Went "near" there over the weekend and killed it. Keep in mind that Byers Lake is loaded with bears.

Thanks everyone for all the options. Checked with the Byers cabins, and they are all filled, too. Considering my wife wanted something a little more "upscale" than tent camping, we're going to a little B&B that sits on a small lake up near Talkeetna. It has a paddleboat for use and some rainbows in the lake. From there we're going to head south one day to rent a canoe from Tippecanoe and check out Lower Rolly in the Nancy Lake system, and hopefully pull out some little pike. Add some berry picking and hiking and it should be nice break from Anchorage for a few days. Next year I'll make reservations at Louise a little earlier and get back to some of you about those lakers! Thanks again,

Nick

Nickster, it sounds like you've got a nice trip planned. Let us know how it goes.

As far as next year, I highly recommend The Point Lodge at Lake Louise. We like it so well that we almost purchased it a couple of years ago. If you've never been there is is a beautiful lodge and it's not a party spot so your family will be comfortable there and it's very quiet. If you have a boat, the lodge has the best (read deep) launch site of all the lodges.

Good Luck,