Thread: Meat care question

Default Meat care question

Ok, another meat care question, just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes and I would appreciate any suggestions. My sheep hunt is going to be floating by raft and the float out will be about 2 days. If I am fortunate enough to get a sheep, get the meat dry, sprayed with citric acied and cooled would it be ok to put the meat in contracter bags in the bottom of the raft for the float out. At night take the meat back out and hang and then back in the plastic bags the next morning for the float. The river is plenty cold to keep the meat cool if it is on the bottom of the raft and I am thinking that I would have a better chance keeping it dry in the bags than any place else. I could also stop and get the meat out during the float if that would help.

Last year I put my sheep meat in two gamebags and then put them in contractor bags and laid them in a creek bottom where it was shady, cool ( and moist) and left the bags open so a little air could circulate. The bags kept the rain off the meat and over the next two days I stopped in and turned them over. My buddy got his ram and did the same thing. It then took us 4 days to pack out our meat in WET conditions. Sometimes it was left in the bags to stay dry and sometimes it was hanging or spread out on rocks. My meat was in and out of contractor bags for six days before I got it in the freezer and was fine. I think you'll be okay. Just don't put it in the bags and forget about it for several days. Take it out, air it out, etc. You'll be ok.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Anchorage, Alaska

Default float hunt meat care

I would caution against using plastic bags for your game meat in the raft. Instead, use a mesh cargo platform to suspend it off the floor of the boat, place the meat in BREATHABLE game bags, and put a cargo net over the top of it to keep it contained in the boat in the event that you have an accident. If it is raining, put some branches over the top of the meat and tie a tarp over the branches, leaving two ends open for good airflow over your game bags.

Surface moisture is one of your arch-enemies. Do all you can to get that meat dry, or it will become a breeding ground for bacteria that can cause spoilage.

Temperature plays a huge role in preventing spoilage; if you are hunting later in the year you can get by with slightly less aggressive tactics. But early in the season, a few warm days will ruin wet meat.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Los Anchorage

Solution #1. Just eat it all before it gets a chance to go bad.

mountinman jack, i think i like you!!!!

Can I go just so that meat don't go bad?I am a pertty good cook.