Thread: Questions

Question Questions

Hey All,
    New member but have been reading for months. I have dreamed of fishing AK since I was little. Will be coming for the first time Aug 18-23 to Soldotna. Being first time have the time pretty much guided (1 Flyout, 1 Seward Charter Halibut and two (2) floats on Kenai) for silvers and trout.

What I need help is for the times (mainly evenings) after the guided trips, where would be the best places to explore on my own into the late hours. I basically only fly fish (as that is all I was ever taught and look silly trying to cast a spinner or bait caster). Would like to find other species to catch be they Reds, Pinks and maybe Steelies??

I have read all the comments about the Russian and while I would like to fish it I am not to keen on all the crowd thing. Dont mind sharing but also dont mind walking a little farther to have more space. Kind of used to the rivers here in Montana where I usually can work a whole drift without seeing anybody but floaters.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Default Russian

The Russian is worth a look, fly rod is the wayto go. I will be there on August 1st, this is my second trip. We like to fish sportsman landing, from the lower parking lot go down to the corner of the lot and follow the trail down stream and fish right on the turn of the river. Not many people and still good fishing. Pm me if you want any more info and good luck.

Default The Russian

You can have the Russian mostly to yourself and the bears if you fish the wee early hours (midnight to 4 AM). I have done it that way a couple of times and had a great time. No sight fishing, but worth the effort in my book.

If you have a float tube, or rent a canoe, the lakes in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge have some good stocks of native rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyca View Post

I have read all the comments about the Russian and while I would like to fish it I am not to keen on all the crowd thing. Dont mind sharing but also dont mind walking a little farther to have more space.
    I just got back home from a trip to the Kenai, Russian and Kasilof. There is almost no place in any of those rivers that you will be alone with out getting some private land owner to let you on their property.

If you float, other people and plenty of guides will be there. If you bank fish, trust me there will be plenty of others there (russian to soldatna to the mouth). It was very slow when I was there, and the only thing that sucked worse then not catching many fish was being next to 20 other people in 100 yards not catching any either.

Its defently not the fly in trip you see on the Discovery Channel...

There is a huge difference between end of July and end of August on the Kenai regarding number of fisherman on the river.

Thanks, I was hoping there would be a difference in pressure. Lakes sound good but I do not know if I will have space to pack the tubes. Would just like to find a smaller river for non-guided times where I can enjoy. Thanks again for the suggestions.

It's been a while, but I think that you can have some solitude on the Russian upriver toward the falls and have a shot at some nice silvers. Go in at the Forest service campground instead of crossing on the ferry. There is an excellent trail along the river and the people at the pay station can give you current fishing info for the river.

Default Lots of fish = lots of people

One thing: do not have unrealistic expectations of solitude if you are fishing anywhere on the road system. If you are in Southcentral Alaska, and you can drive there -- and the fish are in -- there will be plenty of other folks there.

My father-in-law was up from Idaho recently, and he's also used to the whole "work a hole for hours without seeing another person" thing, and he was pretty shocked with the crowds here. That said, combat fishing can be a good time, too

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile View Post
    There is almost no place in any of those rivers that you will be alone with out getting some private land owner to let you on their property.
    Completely untrue in mid to late August. Here is a picture that my wife took of me in mid-August two years ago. We saw one other person all day long. We were there right before the red season closed (can't recall the date off the top of my head) and were able to find a few fresh fish mixed in with a lot of dark red spawners. I also managed a silver and we caught loads of fat rainbows. The Russian, especially if you're willing to hike upstream 2-3 miles, will provide you with picturesque beauty and uncrowded fishing conditions during the dates you mentioned. No need to go in the middle of the night, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We were there right before the red season closed (can't recall the date off the top of my head) and were able to find a few fresh fish mixed in with a lot of dark red spawners. I also managed a silver and we caught loads of fat rainbows.
    Wow you were there in the off season.. managed to catch one silver and some other fish that you can get in the 48, among a bunch of other rotting fish. And it wasn't crowed <sarcasm> cool </sarcasm>

Brian I admire your other posts, and respect you well. But I have to disagree. When the fishing is hot on the Kenai or the Russian, its combat fishing time all the way to the falls.

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile View Post
    Brian I admire your other posts, and respect you well. But I have to disagree. When the fishing is hot on the Kenai or the Russian, its combat fishing time all the way to the falls.
    Eric, the guy asked for info on Aug18-23, hence the off-season. It won't be crowded, and that was the purpose of my post. Of course there are crowds there during the hot times, but that doesn't apply in this case.

As for the "other fish", the lower 48 most certainly doesn't have the quality and quantity of rainbows that we have here.

And I will stand by my statement that the Russian isn't always crowded, even during the best days of fishing. Here is a shot from last July during the peak of the 2nd run. There was one elderly couple about 40 yards upstream from me, otherwise I couldn't see another person from where I fished all afternoon.

Alright - I think I understand what both Eric and Brian are saying. I fish Idaho too and believe it or not during Steelhead season it is combat fishing also - fun just different from Montana (they really discourage fly fishing on some tribs). However, I am never afraid of wearing out the felt on my waders getting away from some. With that said, what are your guys thoughts on

The Anchor?
    Deep Creek?
    Ninilichik (sp)?

Like I said I just want to experience as much as possible.