Thread: Success

Default Success

IMG_0224.jpg
    In the spring when I went back to work on my food plots my 19 year old grandson asked if he could come up to Alaska to shoot a black bear. Of course I said yes. He was supposed to arrive on Sat. but never made it in till Sunday with airline delays. But.... no baggage. So we drove back to Valdez and waited. Monday morning, no bags. Finally Monday night his bow and bags made it to Valdez.

We practiced on the ground and in my back yard tree stand to made sure that his bow was set up correctly. All was good.

We headed out on Tuesday to my first stand and went in. The bait was all gone and I had at least one boar on camera so we sat there. And sat, and sat till 7 p.m. and nothing.

On Wed. I decided to take him to my second stand. I tried to anchor up but the bow of the boat was lifting about 2 feet up and down and the boat was right in the wind. So I decided to go back to stand one. My bait barrel was torn from the tree but there was still some bait. We climbed up again and waited, and waited and waited. A couple land otters came thru but that was it. About 6:30 I asked him how he was doing and he said he wanted to stay longer.

About 5 minutes latter I looked up hill and spotted a bear. He came in and scented the area a bit and almost left. He laid down to eat some food not providing a shot, quartering towards us. I looked at my grandsons shaking bow and told him to sit back down and let the bear eat. Eventually the bear got up, turned, providing a broadside shot.

Chase had to put the arrow between two trees to hit the vitals and I asked him if he could do it. He said yes and let her rip. Double lunged!! 30 yards and the bear piled. This was Chase's second big game animal with a bow. For a beginning bow hunter he did great. Chase helped me do the skinning and harvesting of the meat and hauling it to shore. Having a grandson that works out at the YMCA sure helps with the packing.

https://www.facebook.com/daveinthebu...2Sg1_5lilpZLfv

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Congrats to both of you!
    Good eating.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    IMG_0224.jpg
    In the spring when I went back to work on my food plots my 19 year old grandson asked if he could come up to Alaska to shoot a black bear. Of course I said yes. He was supposed to arrive on Sat. but never made it in till Sunday with airline delays. But.... no baggage. So we drove back to Valdez and waited. Monday morning, no bags. Finally Monday night his bow and bags made it to Valdez.

We practiced on the ground and in my back yard tree stand to made sure that his bow was set up correctly. All was good.

We headed out on Tuesday to my first stand and went in. The bait was all gone and I had at least one boar on camera so we sat there. And sat, and sat till 7 p.m. and nothing.

On Wed. I decided to take him to my second stand. I tried to anchor up but the bow of the boat was lifting about 2 feet up and down and the boat was right in the wind. So I decided to go back to stand one. My bait barrel was torn from the tree but there was still some bait. We climbed up again and waited, and waited and waited. A couple land otters came thru but that was it. About 6:30 I asked him how he was doing and he said he wanted to stay longer.

About 5 minutes latter I looked up hill and spotted a bear. He came in and scented the area a bit and almost left. He laid down to eat some food not providing a shot, quartering towards us. I looked at my grandsons shaking bow and told him to sit back down and let the bear eat. Eventually the bear got up, turned, providing a broadside shot.

Chase had to put the arrow between two trees to hit the vitals and I asked him if he could do it. He said yes and let her rip. Double lunged!! 30 yards and the bear piled. This was Chase's second big game animal with a bow. For a beginning bow hunter he did great. Chase helped me do the skinning and harvesting of the meat and hauling it to shore. Having a grandson that works out at the YMCA sure helps with the packing.

https://www.facebook.com/daveinthebu...2Sg1_5lilpZLfv
    Good job Grandpa! Way to go! And good job teaching that young man that persistence and patience pays off in the end!

Special times, well done!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Congratulations........nice shot.

Right on!!

Congrats!!

Good job to both of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BRWNBR FOR POTUS

Fanfriggintastic! Some good eats there, and the hide looks gorgeous! Congrats to you both!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The fur was really thick and dense. Some rubbing on the feet from walking in the snow but over all going to make a nice should mount for him as it has a little chevron on the front.

A 5’ Sow is the perfect animal for a young mans second archery harvest. Good on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    A 5’ Sow is the perfect animal for a young mans second archery harvest. Good on him!
    It was a 5' 8" and a boar.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    It was a 5' 8" and a boar.
    Ha!...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Awesome!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I love Memorial Day weekend Success!

Attachment 97796