Thread: Wulik river float all the way to Kavalina?

Default Wulik river float all the way to Kavalina?

anyone have knowledge (1st or 2nd hand) of the lower Wulik river to Kavalina? we did an epic char float trip last Sept in a 2 person inflatable canoe, flew out about 20 miles (crow not river) above Kavalina... was thinking about maybe floating all the way to Kavalina next time (and flying Ravn back to Kotz). I know the west wind can get ugly and there are way more river braids near the sea, but would it be a realistic float with more good fishing? thx for any input/advice!

Just some advice from a guy who outfits out there...The village of Kivilina is one of the most inhospitable villages in all of Bush Alaska. When you arrive in Kibbles n Bits the locals are not going to welcome you with open arms. We do not allow any of our float groups to end in Kibbles n Bits...I want my gear to come back in one piece. If you have a moose in the boat, well...........

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters

thanks Walt. we don't intend to hunt the wulik, only catch and release char with flyrods.. and we'd be floating our own rafts/canoes into Kivalina with only smiles (and sidearms), and paddle straight to the KVL airstrip for the 1515 flight to OTZ. I would think someone has done this without too many issues?
    also how did Kivalina become "Kibbles n Bits"? lots of sleigh dogs I suspect? more than the 377 locals?

Enjoy!

Just a local name....Been Kibbles n Bits for 20 years or more I guess?

Last year we had 6 groups on the Wulik and 3 more on the Kelly and Kugg. All are wonderful rivers for Dollies..Check out my fishing page to see last years photos!

http://www.northwestalaska.net/world...ly-varden.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

more Pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Just some advice from a guy who outfits out there...The village of Kivilina is one of the most inhospitable villages in all of Bush Alaska. When you arrive in Kibbles n Bits the locals are not going to welcome you with open arms. We do not allow any of our float groups to end in Kibbles n Bits...I want my gear to come back in one piece. If you have a moose in the boat, well...........

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    So, you are saying a shotgun with buckshot is not just for bears anymore?

Noooooo...