Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, .356 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It sure tames muzzle jump for me. Shot a friend's Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and you could actually SEE the bullet impact through the scope. Had my own bolt 375 Magnaported, and suddenly I can see bullet impact through the scope on it, too. No way, no how for that to happen before Magnaporting.
    You are so full of chit... how fast was that bullet going to see it impact? How far were you shooting? In your case that bullet was going so **** slow you saw the bullet trace at 100yds.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I gather that Porting is preferable to a Muzzle Brake, but for me, the most unpleasant thing about shooting is the noise and muzzle blast.

Sooo, I don't wanna deal with either. Also, I've HEARD, that Porting can allow sparks in your face. ???? About that, but it's notta happy thought.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You are so full of chit...
    Nice knowing you. Have a great life.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It sure tames muzzle jump for me. Shot a friend's Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and you could actually SEE the bullet impact through the scope. Had my own bolt 375 Magnaported, and suddenly I can see bullet impact through the scope on it, too. No way, no how for that to happen before Magnaporting. The Smith 4" M29 and M629 are notorious for muzzle flip. But shooting side by side with my 7.5" Redhawk 44, my Magnaported 4" 629 has lots less flip, and is actually controllable in double action rapid fire. Yup, I sure ruined those guns!
    I understand what you are saying.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Hey Brown Bear,

As always, you provide honest thoughts based on a life time of shooting. I appreciate it and the polite way you do it, even if you do not agree with others.

[QUOTE=323;1663875]You are so full of chit... how fast was that bullet going to see it impact? How far were you shooting? In your case that bullet was going so **** slow you saw the bullet trace at 100yds.[/QUOTE

I dunno why you find that hard to believe! I see the impact or burst of most every shot when shooting at a running coyote. I adjust my shot accordingly. Even when shoot 7mm-08 or 25-06 with no brake on light rifle. For that matter I often see bullet impact on a gong at 200 yards with either of those guns....my 450 Bushmaster for that matter.

BrownBear is a square shooter who’s advise I have always found helpful and informative! He is not full of chit. Now on the other hand especially when it comes to cat killing stories I might be full of chit... but I ain’t caring much if I am👍!

BB is definitely a square shooter. He is, IMO, the most knowledgeable poster on these gun forums. I've believe I've learned more from BB than anyone else, and that's a fact.

He's not full of chit, because it happens, that there are times when you CAN see a bullet in flight. I think it is a function of lighting, and the background behind the bullet. I've not experienced it a lot and can't recall a specific instance, but it's just a short blip.

Porting, or a Muzzle Brake keeps the barrel from moving as much, so it stays on target. I've seen 1 K BR rifles with huge 30" Barrels, and they had Brakes. For just that purpose.

A rifle that stays on target better, would make seeing the bullet, more possible. I've no reason to doubt that BB could see those bullets, when conditions were right. Nor, do I find it unreasonable to think that Porting made it possible.

Even if I'm NOT full of chit on this, I will NOT be ruining any barrels, by Porting them.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have no doubt that someone, at times, could see the bullet hit the target. The mind, our senses, our perception of events in time, and of time itself... are fluid, reality is an approximation of what our senses take in. Our brains process the world around us and give us a modified experience that we live with and assume is what is going on. Like if you've ever been in a bad car accident, (I have) time seems to slow, every detail seems amplified, your brain can process every bit of glass or movement of objects in your car, seeming to go in slow motion, then speed back up. My Brother-in Law was first recon, first Marine in Vietnam. Two tours. He said it seemed that way sometimes when the chit got really bad, close proximity fighting, time seemed to slow, then, like in the car wreck, speed back up... his motions got instinctive, but almost as if guided by sharper senses. Have any of you seemed to perceive things more clearly during the intense moments of a hunt? Does you brain process the immediate differently than, say, when in town walking down the sidewalk? Many people are synesthetic, perceiving all senses at once... like, when hearing sounds trigger visions of colors... as infants our brains adjust so that our perception of reality is segmented so that we remain sane. A surprisingly large number of people in the world, about 5%, still perceive in this way. (Synesthesia) I have a hearing problem that sometimes manifests itself such that I can perceive the Doppler effect when approaching a sound source, like two people approaching me in a hallway talking, I hear the pitch of their voice increase, then decrease as they pass... like one hears on a train when approaching a stationary sound. The Doppler effect is because of the laws of Physics. The compression and expansion of sound waves. I believe we all hear it, with all things, all the time, but our brains process it so that unless it's forced upon us, like on speeding train, we "hear" stable sounds most of the time. Do I believe BrownBear when he says he can see the bullet clearly, even when it is traveling at high velocities? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by duteman View Post
    I have no doubt that someone, at times, could see the bullet hit the target. The mind, our senses, our perception of events in time, and of time itself... are fluid, reality is an approximation of what our senses take in. Our brains process the world around us and give us a modified experience that we live with and assume is what is going on. Like if you've ever been in a bad car accident, (I have) time seems to slow, every detail seems amplified, your brain can process every bit of glass or movement of objects in your car, seeming to go in slow motion, then speed back up. My Brother-in Law was first recon, first Marine in Vietnam. Two tours. He said it seemed that way sometimes when the chit got really bad, close proximity fighting, time seemed to slow, then, like in the car wreck, speed back up... his motions got instinctive, but almost as if guided by sharper senses. Have any of you seemed to perceive things more clearly during the intense moments of a hunt? Does you brain process the immediate differently than, say, when in town walking down the sidewalk? Many people are synesthetic, perceiving all senses at once... like, when hearing sounds trigger visions of colors... as infants our brains adjust so that our perception of reality is segmented so that we remain sane. A surprisingly large number of people in the world, about 5%, still perceive in this way. (Synesthesia) I have a hearing problem that sometimes manifests itself such that I can perceive the Doppler effect when approaching a sound source, like two people approaching me in a hallway talking, I hear the pitch of their voice increase, then decrease as they pass... like one hears on a train when approaching a stationary sound. The Doppler effect is because of the laws of Physics. The compression and expansion of sound waves. I believe we all hear it, with all things, all the time, but our brains process it so that unless it's forced upon us, like on speeding train, we "hear" stable sounds most of the time. Do I believe BrownBear when he says he can see the bullet clearly, even when it is traveling at high velocities? Absolutely.
    All thet be way past my comprehenseeation. I maintain we could ALL see bullets in flight if conditions are right.

We see Tracer bullets from machine guns don't we? That is proven technology.

Nuff said, but I'm not makin any promises.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Sorry... sometimes the nutty professor just pops out...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    BB is definitely a square shooter. He is, IMO, the most knowledgeable poster on these gun forums. I've believe I've learned more from BB than anyone else, and that's a fact.

He's not full of chit, because it happens, that there are times when you CAN see a bullet in flight. I think it is a function of lighting, and the background behind the bullet. I've not experienced it a lot and can't recall a specific instance, but it's just a short blip.

Porting, or a Muzzle Brake keeps the barrel from moving as much, so it stays on target. I've seen 1 K BR rifles with huge 30" Barrels, and they had Brakes. For just that purpose.

A rifle that stays on target better, would make seeing the bullet, more possible. I've no reason to doubt that BB could see those bullets, when conditions were right. Nor, do I find it unreasonable to think that Porting made it possible.

Even if I'm NOT full of chit on this, I will NOT be ruining any barrels, by Porting them.

Smitty of the North
    my point on all of this is he’s going to ruin a gun that is extremely hard to find. Granted he doesn’t care about collectibility but in the end will his grand kids want a ear splitter. Load up some cast bullets go shoot it have fun, then for moose/bear work up a good load and be happy. There are rifles that absolutely need muzzle brakes ie 375 RUM

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    my point on all of this is he’s going to ruin a gun that is extremely hard to find. Granted he doesn’t care about collectibility but in the end will his grand kids want a ear splitter. Load up some cast bullets go shoot it have fun, then for moose/bear work up a good load and be happy. There are rifles that absolutely need muzzle brakes ie 375 RUM
    I agree that porting would lessen the desirability of said rifle.

Brakes do reduce recoil, and porting reduces muzzle jump, but either one, reduces a rifles value, because fewer people will want to own it, and have to put up with the unpleasantness.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Ruin is in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe his grandkids will say I'm sure glad PaPa got this gun magna ported! It's one of those to each his own deals!

For what it's worth, I have seen the sun shining off a bullet all the way to the target on more than one occasion. In fact quite often when shooting at my old range in the evening when the sun was at my back....even with a 22-250 -55 grain bullet running 3700 fps. It happens!

For what it's worth, I have seen the sun shining off a bullet all the way to the target on more than one occasion.

That reminds me of a funny story when my pops and his buddy were up visiting a few years ago. We were at our cabin doing some plinking and neither one are pistol shooters but shoot a lot of rifle and shotgun. We were shooting some 45 colt at a hanging plate and there wasn't too much ringing and you aren't able to see where the bullets hit because its real brushy. I had loaded a bunch of those plated bullets and with the sun behind us it was surprisingly easy to see where every one went. Of course I was calling out where the shots went and they were both calling bull @#$%! I was trying to tell them that the sun is shining off the back and we were laughing so hard there were even less clanks to be heard! To this day they both think I'm full of it....

Thumbs up Got it

The sleek little Mod. 94 is in the safe and after a good bore scrubbing and Dyna Bore Coat treatment I am off to the range with about twenty rounds of factory ammo. I got a good deal on some 220 grain Speer Flat Nose bullets and have a hundred Kodiak Custom Super Bonded 250 grain bullets coming.

I got about 90 pieces of new brass with the rifle. I want to find another hundred pieces of brass for it and may end up resizing another caliber to do it.
    Also got RCBS dies and a Lee Crimp die. Going to find some WW748 powder and load up.

I will decide on the receiver sight and new front post later. Out of curiosity I managed to stuff seven rounds in the magazine tube, same as my 45-70. But, like my 45-70 I will load it with six rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12