Thread: To GLOW or not to GLOW for Halibut??

Default To GLOW or not to GLOW for Halibut??

How many of you incorporate some type of glow when soaking bait? How about when jigging halibut? What is your opinion on GLOW in the dark for Halibut?

Glow works ....
    johnnie laird

I like the glow. Kodiak Custom now has their white jig with a glow skirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do. Sure dont see a down side.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Glow never hurts! When it loses it's charge it still looks like the color of the belly of most bait fish.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. Always worth a try, but it's not a magic bullet or necessary to catch fish.

We always start the day with different stuff on each rod, one of which is always glow. If it performs, we switch all the rods to it. If it doesn't perform and something else is doing the job, the glow is so much litter in the gear tray.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Love the glow for bottom fishing as well as salmon trolling with glow hoochies and flashers. If you really want to put a charge on your glow lures try this trick ~ get a roll of Onforu 33 ft LED UV black light. It has a sticky backing. I used it to line a five gallon bucket. It has a wall outlet plug in. I put all my glow lures in the bucket, plug it in when we leave the dock and the lures absolutly pop with color. Nothing charges like a black light.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Love the glow for bottom fishing as well as salmon trolling with glow hoochies and flashers. If you really want to put a charge on your glow lures try this trick ~ get a roll of Onforu 33 ft LED UV black light. It has a sticky backing. I used it to line a five gallon bucket. It has a wall outlet plug in. I put all my glow lures in the bucket, plug it in when we leave the dock and the lures absolutly pop with color. Nothing charges like a black light.
    That's a slick idea. Another that also works well is a camera flash/strobe. They often can be had for not much $ at thrift stores, pawn shops, etc. They put a charge on a lure pronto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Won't hurt but I don't bother for Halibut, no doubt it will give you a small advantage but scent is much more important imo.
    I like to scent them in and catch them on light tackle and bucktail jigs with a small strip of bait in the lightest weight needed to get you down pending depth and current, doesn't seem to matter if its a glow, white, chartruse or pink the fish will normally hit it first over a big halibut hook and bait especially on a slow bite but those are my favorite colors
    A small uv flashlight charges them quickly, we charge up big pl68's in the dark Ahi fishing long range, nothing like reeling up as fast as you can and having a Cow tuna slam it.
    Redleader standing by

10" glow twister tail, dark days glow is one of my best. Lots of stuff in the deep glows up.
    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Haven't really had the need yet to put down glow, but I might had some double glow hoochies to my halibut rigs.

One thing for sure, double glow hoochies have been killer on the kings the last few years.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130