Thread: Flight Lessons

Default Flight Lessons

I've had a fantasy for some time about going to Alaska and taking flying lessons.

Call me crazy.
    "Everything in moderation including moderation"

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Do it!!

(In all seriousness, there are much better places to go if you just want to get your license as fast as possible. But if you want some incredible flying, it's hard to beat Alaska. Of course, just getting your license is the starting point - then you need to fly a lot more to become proficient.)

Hi "CRAZY" roughly what part of New York are you, Mr. CRAZY
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Do it!!

(In all seriousness, there are much better places to go if you just want to get your license as fast as possible. But if you want some incredible flying, it's hard to beat Alaska. Of course, just getting your license is the starting point - then you need to fly a lot more to become proficient.)
    You're killing me Brian! Awesome pics bro. Is that a cub you are flying or a PA-12? I'm super jealous. I agree with Brian. Get your pilot license somewhere else first. Way cheaper. I got my pilot license in 2000 down in Arizona. I flew down there in the winter. Stayed in a cheap hotel for a month, and got my pilot license for $3000 in a month from a company called Sheble's Aviation. You can fly every day because of the bluebird weather. Then you can come up here get your tailwheel endorsement. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    You're killing me Brian! Awesome pics bro. Is that a cub you are flying or a PA-12? I'm super jealous. I agree with Brian. Get your pilot license somewhere else first. Way cheaper. I got my pilot license in 2000 down in Arizona. I flew down there in the winter. Stayed in a cheap hotel for a month, and got my pilot license for $3000 in a month from a company called Sheble's Aviation. You can fly every day because of the bluebird weather. Then you can come up here get your tailwheel endorsement. Good luck.
    It's a Super Cub - PA-18. Technically my father's bird, but I'm the only one that flies it. He really wanted one of us to put it to good use once he hung up his wings. How could I tell my dad no? I know, I'm ridiculously blessed.

I learned to fly in a 172 and enjoyed that well enough, but I enjoy the Cub soooo much more. Looking forward to some more adventures this summer and fall!

Looks like a cub to me....

FWIW, got my license in '84 in Los Anchorage. Seem to recall it cost the significant sum of $1100 (+ 180 for an extra 5 hours of 152 time before my flight exam). Didn't have near the hoops to jump through that one does today.

For the simple purpose of getting the ticket, there's hundreds of more efficient places to get one's license. Hard to beat Alaska for the scenery and, if the intent is to be a cub-driver, the initial experience in Alaska also is hard to duplicate. That being said, I think you'd be money and time ahead to get the license elsewhere then head NW to gain some time.

If it's unlikely you'll ever relocate to Alaska and the time learning to fly is all you'll have in Alaska, that's a good excuse to visit Alaska for a bit!
    Back in AK

What Brian, said. Cheaper and faster elsewhere then Alaska to get a license. And even then, I have no idea what the deal is for renting a plane.

In the "OLD days we would purchase a Super Cub first, have a friend show us how it worked, then and only then we would get minimal instruction to "solo". We were then free as a bird. And a good used Cub was $9,500.00 a new Cub was twice that price. For some guys they might have 400 or 600 hours, then go get a private airplane drivers license thingie.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    I've had a fantasy for some time about going to Alaska and taking flying lessons.

Call me crazy.
    Is your dream "learning to fly" in Alaska, or moving there and flying? Like others here are saying, if you want to move to Alaska and fly there its probably easier/faster to get your certs elsewhere. I am getting mine in SC with hopes of flying in AK in the future.