Thread: Haul Road vs. Chicken Herd

Default Haul Road vs. Chicken Herd

Can anybody offer some incite into the difference in hunting the Haul Road vs. the chicken herd. Looking for information on the size of the animals harvested, off road travel distance to the herd, harvest numbers, etc. I have hunted the Haul road several times in the past. I don't mind hiking off the Haul road, but I am looking at expanding my Alaska experience.

Cool Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by firemanrikker View Post
    Can anybody offer some incite into the difference in hunting the Haul Road vs. the chicken herd. Looking for information on the size of the animals harvested, off road travel distance to the herd, harvest numbers, etc. I have hunted the Haul road several times in the past. I don't mind hiking off the Haul road, but I am looking at expanding my Alaska experience.
    I'm surprised no one has responded to this so I'll give it a whack!

Well, you've been up the Haul Road, so you know what that's like. Most of the hunting around Chicken is done on 4-wheelers off the Chicken Ridge trail/road and off of the actual main Taylor Highway. The furthest I've been back in was about 35 miles or so. At times there can be plenty of caribou around off the trail system, however it seems this hunt can end very quickly because if the caribou are around it can be a real zoo with people everywhere...and the quota gets shot pretty quick. There is some really pretty country back in there and some neat stuff to see...but it can be a zoo.

Although the chicken hunt is a much easier drive than the Haul Road....personally I would take the Haul Road hunt. I know there is other folks on the forum that have hunted this area more than me and hopefully they'll chime in....this is just my 2c.

Good luck!

Default just my thoughts

If you don't mind hiking, the haul road probably has fewer people, but more challenges--ie getting close to the bou as there isn't much cover to hind behind. We saw plenty of bou the 1st week of Oct, but you are fighting all those eyes looking at you. Some say the hiking is miserable once your caribou is down--depending upon how far you shoot it off of the road. If you are archery hunting, then be willing to go in a ways--get away from the road hunters. Good luck.

I have been back on the chicken trail 60 miles with a 4-wheeler, after so long you have to start making up your own trail, but the country is great and i always get a bou out of there, some times you have to go that extra mile....well most of the time....lol