Thread: Clam digging on West side of Cook Inlet

Default Clam digging on West side of Cook Inlet

I am going to dig in the Polly Creek area this weekend. First time for me. We dug clams for years on the east side prior to the closures. So my plan is to run from the City launch in the Kenai river across the inlet North of Kaligan Is. then South to Polly Creek area. We will leave 4 hours before low tide. Any thoughts?

I thought about this same route. Let me know how it shakes out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Depends on the typical speed you run at, 4 hours would be a lot of extra time for me but could also give you time to look around. Be ready for rips filled with debris and stacked waves in the middle. Go north of Kalgin for sure. Not sure if they've put the docks in yet so be ready to launch and retrieve without a dock. There have been a lot of posts on here recently about this, check them out.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

The city dock floats are in. Its a pretty quiet place right now. I want to have plenty of time but I figure it will take at least 2 hours prob. closer to 2.5 to get there. Hopefully I can post up some pics of a great trip in a few days.

Weather forced a change of plans. The Clam adventure will have to wait for the next good tides.

The first time I crossed the Inlet in a skiff was April 1986 with Harvey Thompson. In his 25/25 skiff. 25' long and 25 year old home made wood skiff. Plank bottom, plywood sides. He had 2 tiller handle motors on the back with a handle in each hand. Hitting the waves, little geysers of water squirted up between the planks. Bail every so often with a square bucket. Got into stacked up seas coming around the north end of Kalgin and had to head to shore and wait out the weather for a bit. After we landed at his beach site near Redoubt Creek, we tied buoys together and wedged them under the skiff. Pulled it further up the beach and rolled it over. Patched the bottom with a hunk of plywood and fiberglass. Good for another 25 years I guess. Those were the days. We dug clams right out in front of his place. Killed a bunch of bears and canned them. Went to Chinitna Bay and camped on the beach in an Army tent. Fished herring then ran longline gear by hand for halibut.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Went to Chinitna Bay and camped on the beach in an Army tent.
    Did you ever meet Bob and Mary over there?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdakrwm View Post
    Weather forced a change of plans. The Clam adventure will have to wait for the next good tides.
    Dang weather!
    I've kept this browser window open and admit to hitting refresh a couple times this morning. Intrigued by this trip myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you ever meet Bob and Mary over there?
    Sure did. Lots of other people who lived there too. We dug clams in front of Bob and Mary's place. Big ones. The second time I went I was invited to, and accepted an invitation to spend the season in one of Buddy Whitbro's cabins. He offered me an awesome deal on some property there, but I was building my home in Nikiski and had no extra funds at the time.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.