Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Central bait hits??

Default South Central bait hits??

My friend who has two stands about 8 miles west of mine has had both stands hit. Mine, zero so far. Seeing bears fairly regularly on the way to town along the mountain. Skunk cabbage is up, blue berry bushes seem to be starting to leaf out. Only noticeable yearly difference is the snow up high seems to be lingering but it hit over 60 degrees today. Grandson arrives on Sat. for his first ever bear hunt with the bow. Hopefully things pick up.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    My friend who has two stands about 8 miles west of mine has had both stands hit. Mine, zero so far. Seeing bears fairly regularly on the way to town along the mountain. Skunk cabbage is up, blue berry bushes seem to be starting to leaf out. Only noticeable yearly difference is the snow up high seems to be lingering but it hit over 60 degrees today. Grandson arrives on Sat. for his first ever bear hunt with the bow. Hopefully things pick up.
    I've been having a black bear hit mine. Haven't sat on it yet though. Plan to real soon though.

We've had one hit by a small blackie who has not returned since (unless he came in yesterday). He left his "plug" in front of our barrel. Didn't touch our other barrel 200 yds. away. It's still early, but they're moving now. I'll go in today by myself and see what's happening, and probably do some bear meth cooking while I wait, but I really want one of my sons to get a nice bear this year. All I had on camera last year were brownies, and they are illegal where I bait. Not interested in them anyway.

First check is tomorrow. Five day soak. We’ll see.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Blackies have been all over mine for about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set mine last Sat.... Checked it Tuesday, nada.
    Checked it today (Thursday), still nada.
    Was really dry and smelly on Tuesday, had high hopes for today..
    Been raining for a bit now at mine, super wet and almost odorless today. Needs too warm up and get smelly again..

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    We've had one hit by a small blackie who has not returned since (unless he came in yesterday). He left his "plug" in front of our barrel. Didn't touch our other barrel 200 yds. away. It's still early, but they're moving now. I'll go in today by myself and see what's happening, and probably do some bear meth cooking while I wait, but I really want one of my sons to get a nice bear this year. All I had on camera last year were brownies, and they are illegal where I bait. Not interested in them anyway.
    This time a hit on the other barrel, but we had yanked the camera there due to a defect, so I have no idea what the culprit looked like. Left the first barrel untouched, but I added bait anyway. I will probably wait until Saturday to check again.

I just hope everyone has their best baiting certificate!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    I just hope everyone has their best baiting certificate!
    If you mean the course, anyone can do it online. When you obtain your stand permit you are agreeing to the fact that you have completed
    the baiting class, on line or in person. Neither is a big deal.

Well aware Dave... just take the ol online course and go bait dangerous game. Can you imagine if a guy took an online baiting course AND then took an online Bowhunter course, then Bowhunted bears? OMG!

Setup a week ago and dropped some moose guts on it. Will see if any hits tomorrow.

My baits were out on April 15th. First hits was two weeks ago. Not only did they clean me out but also crushed and chewed the cameras. I recovered the back cover of one and have yet to find the other. Going back this weekend and start over will sit next weekend

Just checked mine and both got hit. Now to check the SD cards to see if I got some pics.

First camera did not work. Nada. Second camera shows a decent boar, not to big, might make 6' - 6'4". I have videos of him twice. All from the 15th on. And then on the 16th I have a blacktail walking right down the bear trail past the bait. I have seen their track before, seen them form the stands but never had one on camera.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-17-2019 at 15:27.

Had two browns come within 40 yards but no hit. Looks like maybe boar and sow, she might not be ready to hold still with him behind her! Gonna let it soak about five days or so.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Still a little early. We usually don't see any action until the last week of May at the earliest. Last year was a down year. I sat my own bait about a mile or more form my buddy's bait that I hunted the year before. He got activity around the first of June and shot a blackie, my bait had nothing until the last day of season, and I was at work when it hit that morning early. I sat it until we pulled it that night and nothing. The year before last, we were covered in brown bear, and nada last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Well aware Dave... just take the ol online course and go bait dangerous game. Can you imagine if a guy took an online baiting course AND then took an online Bowhunter course, then Bowhunted bears? OMG!
    Yep......be just like it was for "Fifty Thousand" years, when men bow hunted.

Before some low level nanny state government UN-elected bureaucrat decided to be surrogate mommy to urban snowflakes.

Maybe urban snowflakes need course and a diploma, "How to walk your doggie near urban moose and not get he living spit stomped out of your ass or your doggies".

Likely a lot of educational courses needed for the safety of modern Alaska snowflakes.

Getting hit pretty steady over the last week.
    Lots of smelly goodness from Bait’em 907 hanging and in the barrel.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Starting to get a little action.

Son sealed the deal on a small boar tonight.
    Lots of action with multiple bears.

I had everything baited Friday afternoon. Grandson never made it into Ancho. till Sunday, 24 hours late, his bow and bags Monday night. So all the barrels were empty at the first site yesterday. Second site today. Maybe something is active there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast