Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Vs Anchorage (areas)

I like living in the Valley. As far as our commute to Anchorage, well I am the only one that has made that drive on a daily basis on the last three years. We live right off Trunk Rd., so I can be in Anchorage in about 35 minutes. I am more of a hunter than a fisherman, but my kids are the opposite. I do make the yearly trips to the Kenai, and honestly the Soldotna area reminds me of where I grew up at. The wife has thought of moving to the Kenai to open a practice at, but I doubt she will. Between these, I choose the Valley.

I get so sick of hearing the overused statement of "Anchorage isn't Alaska, but you can see it from there". I was born in this state 50 years ago. I don't know anything different. I live in Anchorage, have for the past 14 years. I have property, can only see one neighbor from my house. I regularly have moose and bears in my yard, and have seen lynx, wolves and coyotes from my kitchen as well. I'm a 5 minute walk to downhill and cross country skiing and hiking. Sure Anchorage has a crime problem, and too many people for my tastes, but it allows me to have a job that affords me the ability to do what I enjoy about this great state.

What is it about Anchorage that isn't Alaska? Urban environment? What about Fairbanks, Juneau, Wasilla? Are they Alaska? Can you see it from any of those places as well???
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

i live in eagle river and i dont think i would like to be any where else except maybe homer (just because we spend so much time down there and has year around fishing on the salt and certain types of good hunting). I normally go south all through the summer and fall for fishing and once winter hits i spend my weekends doing remote ice fishing trips up north so eagle river is a nice spot in the middle of all my activities.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I get so sick of hearing the overused statement of "Anchorage isn't Alaska, but you can see it from there". I was born in this state 50 years ago. I don't know anything different. I live in Anchorage, have for the past 14 years. I have property, can only see one neighbor from my house. I regularly have moose and bears in my yard, and have seen lynx, wolves and coyotes from my kitchen as well. I'm a 5 minute walk to downhill and cross country skiing and hiking. Sure Anchorage has a crime problem, and too many people for my tastes, but it allows me to have a job that affords me the ability to do what I enjoy about this great state.

What is it about Anchorage that isn't Alaska? Urban environment? What about Fairbanks, Juneau, Wasilla? Are they Alaska? Can you see it from any of those places as well???
    Totally agreed. I can walk from my house and go black bear hunting if I want to hike a few miles (and ptarmigan, etc), I have access to great backcountry skiing within 5 miles of my house, I can fish and find morels within a few miles, and can hop in the airplane and be on some great backcountry locales within 20 minutes. I have closer registration-tag goat hunting here than I would in Kenai, and can be picking shrimp pots within an hour drive and a 10 minute boat ride. I could go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    .The Kenai is also wonderful except from May 1 to Nov. 1st.....
    I have no idea how you come up with some of this crap!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Totally agreed. I can walk from my house and go black bear hunting if I want to hike a few miles (and ptarmigan, etc), I have access to great backcountry skiing within 5 miles of my house, I can fish and find morels within a few miles, and can hop in the airplane and be on some great backcountry locales within 20 minutes. I have closer registration-tag goat hunting here than I would in Kenai, and can be picking shrimp pots within an hour drive and a 10 minute boat ride. I could go on...
    Kind of sounds like the definition of "Anchorage isn't Alaska, but you can see it from there" ​if it is all miles from your house and you can only see it that is...same can be said from many cities in AK though.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Kind of sounds like the definition of "Anchorage isn't Alaska, but you can see it from there" ​if it is all miles from your house and you can only see it that is...same can be said from many cities in AK though.
    Not really miles from my house. I can hike right from here. Had lynx in my yard twice in the past year (that I saw - also found tracks multiple times). Can fish right inside the city limits and not see another person. Actually, everything I mentioned above is within the city limits, to include spectacular backcountry skiing with untracked lines for days. I can't find that in Kenai, and personally that's a priority for me.

It's not the same as living in Paxson, but it ain't bad.

Please, please, ya'll, listen to Brian!

I'll bet there are very few who remember when Anchorage was just a little tiny town.

All of the following were "NOT" part of little tiny Anchorage.

Eagle River
    Birchwood
    Eklutna
    Chugiak
    Muldoon
    Cityview
    Spenard
    Girdwood
    Indian
    Bird Creek
    Hillside
    South Anchorage
    Portage
    Kern

Many of the above had their own government and mayor. There was no road to Eagle River.......you had to get to Anchorage by going through the military base. Tudor Road did no go to Muldoon till near mid 70's.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Not Kenai, but close. I can load up on the snow go right in my garage, hit the opener, and in a matter of minutes be riding on the Refuge. All the way to Chickaloon Flats. Right from the house. Or to my cabin in Gray Cliff. Get on the wheelers and ride the beach. Maybe head north all the way to Turnagain Arm. Or south to Kenai. I've whacked a couple moose right in my yard. Plenty more within a couple miles. 1 1/2 hours to Homer. 2 to Seward. Inlet right here. Kenai, Kasilof, and Swanson Rivers. Captain Cook Park. Skilak Lake.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No......not at this time. We need to finish chopping it into little lots. They have started, the elevation work is done. It should be ruined into one more crappy Alaska subdivision by this fall. Breaks my heart, but nearing 73 y/o I can't keep waiting.
    Wait - so youre advocating its perfection and serenity while simultaneously trying to profit off of subdividing it and turning it into a neighborhood? Just making sure Im following along, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    NONE OF THE ABOVE?

Anchorage is wonderful and you can see Alaska from almost anywhere in the city but its not Alaska. The Kenai is also wonderful except from May 1 to Nov. 1st.

The advent of the airplane allows you to live is so many wonderful places in the state so why restrict yourself to .....

Walt
    i wouldnt call the black spruce swamps surrounding glennallen area pristine alaska either.

one persons ideal alaska is probably much different then other peoples views.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    i wouldnt call the black spruce swamps surrounding glennallen area pristine alaska either.

Indeed!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Wait - so youre advocating its perfection and serenity while simultaneously trying to profit off of subdividing it and turning it into a neighborhood? Just making sure Im following along, here.
    Your NOT following.......you are confused. You need help for reading comprehension.
    There is also a Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Your NOT following.......you are confused. You need help for reading comprehension.

Agree to disagree.

Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Agree to disagree.

NO........ don't agree to those terms. To do that would concede the remote possibility there exists the slightest validity in your covert attack.
    There is also a Part Two

Just gonna leave this right here...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...re-opportunity

Too Funny!

I love Anchorage Really I do but Anchorage is Denver, Salt Lake City or Portland...But its not Alaska! If you live in Alaska trips to Costco takes more than 1 day

I agree but I don't live in the Black Spruce Swamps around Glennallen. 16 miles North to the beauty of Downtown Gakona and its is a whole different place. I have been in the state since 1990 and I have only been down to Kenia in the summer........once.Its just nuts down there during the tourist season! Its a great place less all the Rv's and Dipnetters!

Thank god we have a BIG STATE so we all can find home!

Walt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast