Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kenai Vs Anchorage (areas)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I agree but I don't live in the Black Spruce Swamps around Glennallen. 16 miles North to the beauty of Downtown Gakona and its is a whole different place. I have been in the state since 1990 and I have only been down to Kenia in the summer........once.Its just nuts down there during the tourist season! Its a great place less all the Rv's and Dipnetters!

Thank god we have a BIG STATE so we all can find home!

Walt
    It's true, it is a zoo, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if dip netting were to go away, because that is the worst of the zooey-ness. Still, if you know your way around the pen, there are many places to go where you can be far away from the madding crowd. Most of those places are where salmon isn't.

Supporting Member

"Totally agreed. I can walk from my house and go black bear hunting if I want to hike a few miles (and ptarmigan, etc), I have access to great backcountry skiing within 5 miles of my house, I can fish and find morels within a few miles, and can hop in the airplane and be on some great backcountry locales within 20 minutes. I have closer registration-tag goat hunting here than I would in Kenai, and can be picking shrimp pots within an hour drive and a 10 minute boat ride. I could go on..."

What is it about Anchorage that isn't Alaska? Urban environment? What about Fairbanks, Juneau, Wasilla? Are they Alaska? Can you see it from any of those places as well???[/QUOTE]

Growing up we'd shot deer, black bear, wolves, caught crab, halibut, and king salmon right from our front porch and could also see the shrimp pot bouys out the kitchen window...it's all a matter of perspective and what you prioritize. I grew up on Prince of Wales Island (float house from the instances above) and now live in Juneau. It is certainly not the "Alaska" I grew up in and neither is Anchorage to be sure but all areas mentioned have some wonderful scenery and opportunity.
    To the OP, tough call, I love fly fishing and especially love the upper kenai (mostly oct-april though weather permitting) I like the town of homer and trolling/butt fishing so I'd likely choose the peninsula for the fishing and relatively easy bear hunting. Either way for moose your likely going for at least a couple nights?? So the extra 3hrs drive one way is kinda whatever. I'd have a tough time living more than a few miles from a boat loaunch and with no immediate access to blacktail hunting though so you guys can have it. Cordova is pretty rad though and checks alot of boxes (Juneau is way too **** many people in too small an area, and its a north to south blow hole for boating).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It's true, it is a zoo, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if dip netting were to go away, because that is the worst of the zooey-ness. Still, if you know your way around the pen, there are many places to go where you can be far away from the madding crowd. Most of those places are where salmon isn't.
    Never mind sayak, he's been here a whole one time and is gonna claim to tell us how bad, or good, it is.....that should tell ya something.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Never mind sayak, he's been here a whole one time and is gonna claim to tell us how bad, or good, it is.....that should tell ya something.
    Dave-
    Are you saying "Never mind, sayak...", or were you indeed saying "Never mind sayak,...". Ha ha. Either way I'm good with it. My wife would say, "Never mind sayak."
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Dave-
    Are you saying "Never mind, sayak...", or were you indeed saying "Never mind sayak,...". Ha ha. Either way I'm good with it. My wife would say, "Never mind sayak."
    Steve
    Never mind ie, don't bother with him....lol

I grew up in Copper Center from 68 to 82. It was pure heaven for a kid. Fishwheel 100 yards from the house. My brother and I would hunt small game year round. In the summer it was a 5 minute walk to the klutina and as many fish as you wanted to catch with nobody there. Back then the Copper bison hunt was a registration. Moved to Valdez for high school and yet another outdoorsman's paradise. Summers were spent in Sand point seining. After college I spent 15 years in Juneau honing the saltwater skills.

Every part of Alaska is special, including Anchorage. One thing I know for sure, the worst part of Alaska is better than the best part of any other place on the planet.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    One thing I know for sure, the worst part of Alaska is better than the best part of any other place on the planet.
    The South Island of New Zealand is a close second.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

Every part of Alaska is special, including Anchorage. One thing I know for sure, the worst part of Alaska is better than the best part of any other place on the planet.
    Very true!!! I wish I was able to live on my property north of Willow, but we work in town. It is easy to complain about Anchorage, but go outside and it will adjust your thinking quickly. Not to mention, within the city there are places 5 minutes from the busiest streets that are amazingly wild and beautiful.
    I have lived many places and Alaska is the only place that ever felt like home.

Resident of soldotnna my entire life but i go to anchorage to hike the chugach and hunt north. The kenai is over run and crowded. I would live in anc and hunt north......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

IF I had to live in Anchorage, in order to live in AK, I would (and have) without a second thought. Work made me live there for my first decade in Alaska and regrets are few. When we had guests visiting and wanted to show them what a moose looked like, no problem. A drive to Kincaid, the airport or the Flat top parking lot solved the problem quickly. I believe the moose population in Anchorage is the densest in the state, period. Fishing was an hour's drive, north or south.
    But it is still city living and to my mind that doesn't fit the picture of "living in Alaska".

I agree that the Peninsula is plum full and will be over flow starting next week

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I agree that the Peninsula is plum full and will be over flow starting next week
    Ugggghhhhh....

Supporting Member

Every part of Alaska is special, including Anchorage. One thing I know for sure, the worst part of Alaska is better than the best part of any other place on the planet.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Sounds Like a pretty great upbringing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    .The kenai is over run and crowded....
    Well, that exactly how I feel about Anchorage? Although it's a pain, I can deal with a few weeks of traffic....I can't deal with all years worth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123