Thread: Taimen!

Default Taimen!

Now THIS would be somethin' to do!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5117&FORM=VIRE

Anybody here ever caught one?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nope, but itís on the bucket list just above going to Iceland to fish for Browns! Kinda interesting we donít have them here since the climate and water conditions seem to be pretty consistent with those in Russia where Taimen are found.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Kinda interesting we donít have them here since the climate and water conditions seem to be pretty consistent with those in Russia where Taimen are found.
    I was thinking the same thing earlier today when I posted this. And the reason I did was I had just watched a short film about a few guys and a film crew who hired Mongolian guides and went way, I mean WAY, up into northern Mongolia almost to Russia to fish for them. They drove as far as they could and then went by horseback the rest of the way. They caught a few hogs on huge flies. Amazing fish to say the least!

On my dream list to visit and fish for. Amazing that they are such predators that they often have one fish for almost a mile of water.

I remember one guy caught another type of fish (that looked a little like a brown trout but it wasn't and I can't remember the name) that was at least 24 inches or better, and he said those are prey for Taimen.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I remember one guy caught another type of fish (that looked a little like a brown trout but it wasn't and I can't remember the name) that was at least 24 inches or better, and he said those are prey for Taimen.
    Probably a lenok.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What a fish that is! The I.G.F.A. record for 2 pound test line is vacant for those monsters. Can you imagine that changing?

Nope, but itís on the bucket list just above going to Iceland to fish for Browns! Kinda interesting we donít have them here since the climate and water conditions seem to be pretty consistent with those in Russia where Taimen are found.
    Browns in Iceland??? Better save your pennies. I would think that you could do a couple of Taimen trips for a few days fishing in Iceland.

Well, if we're gonna dream we might as well dream big!....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Browns in Iceland??? Better save your pennies. I would think that you could do a couple of Taimen trips for a few days fishing in Iceland.
    Well I have never honestly looked into cost for either trip, I did look up trips in South America for rainbows and Golden Dorado, which are reasonably priced.

Well I have never honestly looked into cost for either trip, I did look up trips in South America for rainbows and Golden Dorado, which are reasonably priced.
    From what I've read, Iceland follows the European model of the "owner" of a section of water charges whatever the market will bear for fishing "rights". Some more popular sections of river can rent by the hour. Most things in Iceland are EXPENSIVE.

There are many great ways to spend money fishing across the world, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    From what I've read, Iceland follows the European model of the "owner" of a section of water charges whatever the market will bear for fishing "rights". Some more popular sections of river can rent by the hour. Most things in Iceland are EXPENSIVE.

There are many great ways to spend money fishing across the world, for sure.
    But the smiles and memories the fishing brings are priceless! I was lucky to grow up in some places that allowed me to catch peacock bass on flyrod, piranha on ultralight tackle, tarpon, dorado, etc. I loved catching trout in Montana and Idaho matching the hatch with flies tied on the spot, miss catching bream, crappie, bass and stripers....and mackerel, and redfish too. LOL. I love being on the water and fishing for pretty much anything. I hope to catch a sheefish sometime soon, but the Taimen is my bucket list trip for sure. I looked up some trips in Iceland for the brown's and they look awfully nice!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well, if we're gonna dream we might as well dream big!....lol
    Just make sure your timen is right.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Just make sure your timen is right.
    I'm feeling like a groan is in order.

Beautiful country. I know a little Russian, but not a lick of Mongolian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Salmon II View Post
    Beautiful country. I know a little Russian, but not a lick of Mongolian.
    In the tv show I watched I think the only Mongol that spoke English was their guide. The rest of them, and there was a lot, that hauled these guys up in there didn't speak any. But they said it didn't stop anybody, Mongolian and American alike, from having a real good time together. The guys said the Mongols were very good people.

Yeah, no real language barrier. Fishing/boating, etc. is a pretty universal language! I wanna go for sure. The idea of chasing a smaller number of hard-to-hook but epic fish that apparently hit hard when they finally decide to do so, sometimes topwater definitely appeals to me. Plus just the whole foreign-ness and new adventure appeals. I have been a steelhead flyfisher, so you can understand how I wouldn't mind making lots of casts while hoping for a tug. My favorite part of that video is the guide or companion of one of those lucky so-and-so's who hooks up a taimen shouting "Oh, good fish! Good fish!" over and over. Have you ever done that? LOL!

Those taimen look like bull trout on steroids

For Searun browns I would suggest Patagonia. You can combo for those Golden Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    For Searun browns I would suggest Patagonia. You can combo for those Golden Dorado
    That is good to know, thank you for the heads up.