Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds out of Seward

According to reports limits are coming quick! Don't forget to thank a cook inlet commercial fisherman for financing the stocking of this run. We aint all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    According to reports limits are coming quick! Don't forget to thank a cook inlet commercial fisherman for financing the stocking of this run. We aint all bad.
    I’ll start thanking Cook Inlet commercial fisherman when they start telling the BoG to restrict and close their fishing before the sport fishing. They need to admit they’re killing these runs and sport fishing has very little impact.

You may be good personally, but as a whole, commercial fishing is indeed all bad. Especially for Alaska. The 3-4% retufn that the state gets from it is nothing compared to all that we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I’ll start thanking Cook Inlet commercial fisherman when they start telling the BoG to restrict and close their fishing before the sport fishing. They need to admit they’re killing these runs and sport fishing has very little impact.

You may be good personally, but as a whole, commercial fishing is indeed all bad. Especially for Alaska. The 3-4% retufn that the state gets from it is nothing compared to all that we lose.
    Don't want to hijack the thread,just wanted to point out to those who don't know that these are hatchery fish. Seems to be a movement to reduce hatchery programs. Sorry you feel all commercial fishing is bad. Hope you have tight lines this summer. Now back to the original topic...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post

How is it that red and king and silver salmon were fished HARD in Cook Inlet by commercial fishermen from the 1890s into the the 1960s and the stocks just kept coming in? This harvest included not only set and drift nets, but dozens and dozens of fish traps too on both sides of the inlet. And yet the salmon kept coming and coming. And then the sport fishery caught on in the late 50s and 60s, and guides entered the picture... And we are where we are today.
    A little unrealistic for you to point the finger at commercial fishermen who are throttled way, WAY back from what they used to be. Everybody needs a bogeyman, but you are barking up the wrong tree. History is not on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    How is it that red and king and silver salmon were fished HARD in Cook Inlet by commercial fishermen from the 1890s into the the 1960s and the stocks just kept coming in? This harvest included not only set and drift nets, but dozens and dozens of fish traps too on both sides of the inlet. And yet the salmon kept coming and coming. And then the sport fishery caught on in the late 50s and 60s, and guides entered the picture... And we are where we are today.
    A little unrealistic for you to point the finger at commercial fishermen who are throttled way, WAY back from what they used to be. Everybody needs a bogeyman, but you are barking up the wrong tree. History is not on your side.

Department of CommFish disagrees with you:
    "Combined with fish traps in Cook Inlet and other areas, poor management by the Federal Government, and the foreign fleet fishing just off shore, salmon runs plummeted statewide, and by the late 1950s were considered a federal disaster."
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...icles_id%3D639
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    What would you consider tail in of outgoing, and when it started to come back in? ~1hr before low? Then ~1-2 hours after low it start coming in? I always stink at timing the tides right
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The tail end of the outgoing was about an hour before low. There was a good on-shore breeze that whipped up right around low tide, so it didn't stay slack for long. My timing has historically not been great either, though - fair warning - and it seems like you can't necessarily set your clock by it at Resurrection. Seems like the early incoming tends to be the most productive and anything near high tide is crappy, but then I'll hear reports to the contrary. I try to fish from 2 hours prior to low through about 2 hours prior to high and rest with the outgoing. Hope they're still coming in.
    My signature is awesome.

My parents were down there last night, still really good. They pulled 9 out pretty fast.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

We fished Friday and Saturday. Outgoing tides, 3hrs before low, and fished the incoming. Didn't see a whole lot of action, people were getting fish just not super hot action.

Any reports in the last day or so?

Quote Originally Posted by AJT View Post
    Any reports in the last day or so?
    I was wondering if its still worth heading down as well, any current reports?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Fished Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, we had 14 fish between 3 people and walking out, people commended how well we did. Sunday was a train wreck, the commercial guys were out with big nets and we only say a few fish. Has slowed down.

Fished Monday morning before the crowd got there. 12 fish in the cooler before 8

It's worth noting that the limit has been temporarily increased to 12 reds per day per angler.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/...2019&NRID=2762

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123