Thread: Gerstle River

Default Gerstle River

Anyone been on the Gerstle River from Bradford Creek to the highway? I've heard mixed reports about the possibility of packrafting it. I know a sheep hunting party had a mishap in the canyon when they flipped their Zodiac and went for a swim.

August time frame. I know these rivers are highly variable based on run off and rain. Hoping to do something like this, but with a different species.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 11.54.35 AM.jpg

Should have used the search function. Found a thread from 2009 with mixed beta.

I hiked the canyon in May when the river was low because I had the same question as you and hadnÂ’t received much info. DidnÂ’t look to bad so floated it that fall and didnÂ’t think it was that bad until we got to the takeout where some guys were wet from their swim in the canyon. They had a IK that was loaded pretty high. I had a 12Ă‚Â’ Riken round boat. Some of the waves are big but fun. A guy almost died on it 2 or 3 years ago but not sure if that was the same group with the zodiac. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...nt/2013/08/18/

Bottom line, it is doable if you have river experience, whitewater boat and donÂ’t overload your boat. Besides the canyon the river is VERY braided and sometimes hard to tell where the channels are. Also, as with any glacier river the weather can make that river a trickle or charging. We saw it vary over a foot each day and drop over 3Â’ in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnagger View Post
    I hiked the canyon in May when the river was low because I had the same question as you and hadnÂ’t received much info.
    Great info, thanks. If we decide to use packrafts we will likely portage the canyon. We'll see. Thx again.