Thread: Knik This Evening

Default Knik This Evening

The fish haven't really hit this the river in good numbers yet. I figured there would be chums gallore, but I was wrong. We spotted a couple fish fanning the water and that was it. Talked to about a dozen other anglers tonight and only one fish was caught between them all. Not really worth the effort at the moment if you are looking for meat.

Where were you on the Knik? There were quite a few folks at the mouth of Jim Creek hoisting silvers yesterday. Matter of fact, just about everyone except me. Fishing didn't seem to be real fast-paced as I recall silver fishing should be, but out of the 50 or so folks there, there was a fish on every few minutes. Lots of carcasses too. Goin back for more punishment in a little while, since I couldn't find anyone to go to the Little Su with me in the boat.

I fished the lower stretchs. I figured if the fish were in Jim Creek I would nail them in my usual spots. In previous years I have done very well even in the last week in July.

I caught 2 silvers and a red at Jim Creek today. They were in pretty good, lots of hookupsfrom about 1130-2, then slow for a couple hours before I caught my last one. I also foul hooked a bunch, and had a few others that I didn't land.

I've been up there every day for a week, last night at 7 PM was the last time. Riding my atv, too early for me to fish There were about a hundred people up there last night. They are catching a fish here and there. SLOW. If you think fishing is good there now it's only because you don't know how good it will get in a week

Default Last year

Last year at this time it was red hot though. Maybe because of the lack of nets in cook inlet last summer?
    It's amazing how many fish go up that little creek, and it's a completely wild run if I remember correctly?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Near Jim Creek

Hi, I'm new here. I went near Jim Creek last night and it was kinda slow, but the action that I saw was a couple of guys snagging fish. It seems that everywhere you go you see people snagging them.
    A shame...pisses me off

Default Not surprised at Jim Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Fist View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I went near Jim Creek last night and it was kinda slow, but the action that I saw was a couple of guys snagging fish. It seems that everywhere you go you see people snagging them.
    A shame...pisses me off
    Snagging, like a quick pull before they reeled in, or snaggin' as in a weighted trebble and a hard rip?
    Believe me, everything goes on at Jim Creek though. Don't leave your car overnight while you ride, you might find a burned, dragged black chunk of metal with bullet-holes in it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I've been up there every day for a week, last night at 7 PM was the last time. Riding my atv, too early for me to fish There were about a hundred people up there last night. They are catching a fish here and there. SLOW. If you think fishing is good there now it's only because you don't know how good it will get in a week
    Yeah, I was expecting it to be a bit more active, as I've caught over 50 in a day before at other streams. But since I've been out of AK te past 4 years and didn't do well on kings, just being able to limit out with the red being the middle fish, was a lot of fun. Although, I imagine when it's hot I should be able to get a limit of silvers in just a few casts.

I gotta get the boat back out soon...leaving til next June in a couple weeks and I want to do a little more running--Little Su Monday.

well it's all relative. If you limit out somewhere than fishing is great no matter if anyone else is catching
    I live on the river, I can hop on my 4wheeler and have a line in Jim Creek in 15 minutes. I've been watching that run for 15 years, July is too early, the second week in august is peak. I'll run up there 20 times in the morning during august and limit in a few minutes. Can't see mostly thrashing water in july