Thread: Tackle for salmon

Default Tackle for salmon

Just a few questions..

I have a few vibrax's with treble hooks on them already, are treble hooks allowed for the most part? Should I just replace them with the single hooks?

3/8 inch gap from tip of hook to shank.. what size hook has a 3/8" gap? #3?

Will be in Seward on Tuesday.. do you think the salmon are in at that time? What kind of tackle should I use and where should i fish on the bank for best results?

I'm just hoping to catch a couple of reds and silvers.. so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Seward

you wont catch reds in Seward. Silvers are still out in the bay but could get some off the banks at Lowell point. try a hike to Tonsina creek, beautiful spot and should be loaded up with pink and chum

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHTR View Post
    you wont catch reds in Seward. Silvers are still out in the bay but could get some off the banks at Lowell point. try a hike to Tonsina creek, beautiful spot and should be loaded up with pink and chum
    thanks for the info.. i think lowell bay si near where i'm staying.. Alaska Saltwater Lodge.. Tosina creek might be aorund there somewhere?
    Maybe i'll head to the bait shop and see what bait/lures they suggest to use..

Anyt thoughts in regards to replacing all of the trble with single hooks?

I am usually on a river when using vibrax. Just my preference but in my case I don't like trebles. They tend to catch everthing which in turn means you loose lures. This of course doesn't necessarily apply to the saltwater. I know some won't agree with me but I also think trebles cause you to loose more fish vs a single hook,I could be all wet but it seems that way to me. In the saltwater you don't have to worry about hook size but if you were looking for a single hook with a 3/8" gap between hook and shank a 2/0 is about right and I would suggest a Gomakatsu if you were going to buy some.

I beleive that the reds have probably gone and you would be looking more at silvers. It also seems like I read in a post that they are still picking up a few kings from shore but I might be mistaken.

I can't offer to much advice fishing from shore but I beleive that you are on the right path with a vibrax. I know some people troll with them and say they do pretty good but I haven't actually used them in the saltwater myself.

No matter what I'm fishing for, I replace my trebles with singles, whether a 1/4oz spoon for trout, or a 16 oz jig for halibut.

My thoughts on trebles are, they hang up on everything, so loss tackle and loss time fishing. The shanks of the hook are smaller dia than single, so not as strong. Fish can lever against the hooks and pull out. If you hook a fish you have to throw back, they might not survive by the time you get the treble out. I still feel bad about a lake trout I had to throw back, under the 18" limit, but it's jaw really got torn up when I removed the hook and I doubt it survived.

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHTR View Post
    Where-abouts is Tonsina Creek?

The prime advantage for treble hook is that they are less likly to just slide through the fishes mouth. Single hooks will do that some times.

If your not wanting to keep fish then definatly don't use treble hooks. I usually leave the treble hooks on lures unless I am fishing in waters that are single hook only.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    Where-abouts is Tonsina Creek?
    South of Glennallen on the Richardson about 40 miles or so.

Default bait shop

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    thanks for the info.. i think lowell bay si near where i'm staying.. Alaska Saltwater Lodge.. Tosina creek might be aorund there somewhere?
    Maybe i'll head to the bait shop and see what bait/lures they suggest to use..
    The guy in the bait shop at the public boat ramp in Seward has been extremely helpful to me for fishing infomation in the past, I think his name is Mike. He's got laminated maps he will mark spots for you.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
    South of Glennallen on the Richardson about 40 miles or so.
    Actually, isn't the Tonsina River south of Glennallen? Tonsina Creek empties into Resurrection Bay. I think.