Thread: Flying coastal route up to S/E?

Default Flying coastal route up to S/E?

Thinking to sell my plane and move on up to a tail dragger or a retract. I donít want to deal with the highway route and flying into Canada if I can help it, wondering what the windows are like for decent weather in the summer time from Northern WA to Ketchikan or Sitka. Planes I am looking at have the legs for that plus a hour or two reserve.

When the weather and winds are nice (summer) it is a much faster trip along the coast to Craig or Ketchikan. I have been stuck out there in bad weather and low ceilings. That was pretty creepy.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    When the weather and winds are nice (summer) it is a much faster trip along the coast to Craig or Ketchikan. I have been stuck out there in bad weather and low ceilings. That was pretty creepy.
    Yea, shooting approaches in an unfamiliar plane is not high on my to do list, so would be planning VFR.

I was thinking how scary 50 foot tall waves looked when I could only climb to 900 feet before hitting the solid ceiling. No good beaches for landing,,,, and suddenly every noise the plane made sounded funny.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

I know a couple guys that just climb up to 12.5 and go. Of course they fly 135 Air taxi here in SE every day and are proficient in our pretend VFR.

First part of May is usually good. June, pretty good, July is morning fog, August has sucked lately and September has been fairly decent.