Thread: Bird Creek

Default Bird Creek

Heard bird creek is near anchorage, anyone have directions? Is it about 30 min away? Will arrive at 1am sat morning.. thinking about fishing for a few hours before heading to denali.. is it worth it?

Heard u can catch pink and silver there? What lures/bait are best to use?

Anyone have a website which describes the lures/technique to fish for various salmon in AK? It seems like it depends on where u are.. the lure/technique are all different.

Default bird creek

is south of Anchorage about 30 mins. they are starting to get silvers and post indicate lots of pinks. # vibrax in orange or chartruese should work.

Instead of going down there why don't you fish some of the streams going north on your way to denali?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Instead of going down there why don't you fish some of the streams going north on your way to denali?
    heard there aren't really any good ones.. do you have any suggestions?

WHAT? (choking...) Whacha talking about Willis?

there are lots of good ones but it is a little early still. The lower part of little su has some fish now and cotton wood has a few reds.the other creeks up the road probably wont have silvers yet but they may have pinks and chums.

Willow was loaded with fresh pinks yesterday......

Definetly make a stop by willow. more than enough pinks and chums. there are a few silvers and fishing is best in the morning hours for them.

where is the willow and how do i get there?
    how about little su? for a first tiomer.. is there a site that shows where some of the rivers and creeks are?

Default Can't miss em'

You pass over all of them as you head toward Denali. Get a road map so that you have a clue about where there at. There up the glenn highway just a litte bit past Houston (The bridge is actually in houston) is the little su, and the willow is about 15 miles past that. I would suggest the Willow, as it will be quicker access to fishing. Have a nice trip.

Chris

The little su you would get to off knik road Just take a left off the parks and follow it till you see the sign.
    Willow creek(the mouth I am guessing) is just on the far side of willow. Just go north on the parks till you see the state rec sign then turn left and follow the road till you hit the state camp ground.

I think you can look up the state rec areas on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    You pass over all of them as you head toward Denali. Get a road map so that you have a clue about where there at. There up the glenn highway just a litte bit past Houston..
    Actually, having a clue WOULD help. They're on the PARKS HIGHWAY, not the Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    (The bridge is actually in houston) is the little su, and the willow is about 15 miles past that. I would suggest the Willow, as it will be quicker access to fishing. Have a nice trip.
    Willow tends to be pretty crowded, if you continue North you'll pass Montana Creek (approx 20 miles from Willow), good spot, again a bit crowded, but welcome to Alaska. Past the Talkeetna Spur is Rabideux Creek. Access via the dirt road to the right.

Google "Alaska Dept of Fish & Game". Lots of good info there if you explore around the site a bit.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Usually the crowds arn't too bad this time of year even at willow. Not too many people target chums and pinks.

Default Bird Creek

I am going to Bird Creek this evening. I am going to give you an accurate pacific pink salmon report. I will also give you a report on the coho salmon too.
    I know some tricks of the trade but I haven't fished the northern rivers in years...just kind of got tired of the drive up north or the long get-to-whos to the rivers. I mean. You can't actually walk to the deshka. So why fish it if you can't get to it without a boat. Some of you would say"hey! don't drop the ball! get a boat!" but I am just a young'n. saving for a house

Husband was at Bird Creek this am.(too late at 6:00 am) 2 Humpys was it . Talked to someone who had caught his 3 silvers but was there at 2:00am. Saw a few others with fish. Late coming in I guess.

shhhhhh! there are no good streams north of anchorage
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Bird Creek Report As of 14 hours ago.

Pacific Pink Salmon
    People are catching Pink salmon. They are catching them because they love to catch them.
    If you cast, reel quickly or make some jerks, you too could be a pink salmon catcher. Its great eating and makes for awesome tales to tell family back home.

Chum and Silvers
    People are catching Chums and Silvers. You have to be a bit more technical than pinks.
    -Let your line out.
    -Sink a bit.
    -Entise with a variety of lures...from spinners to eggs.
    -Set your lure...or make it work for you while out in the deep part of the
    river.

Chums will bite but like a work horse they will dive and try to pull you in. Silvers...they are there..but slow...for some people they hit it just right(tides that is) others are a little more unfortunate...hence forth..see Pink salmon report posted up above.

People
    People are catching people and the report on this is fair to good. Chance of being caught is almost 73%. Can't eat the people but you can sure start up a good conversation.

Bears
    Where are they? I haven't seen them this year so far. I kind of miss them.

Last weekend there were two bears at the sign posts on the upper end of the creek. Looked to be a couple of younger bruins. They fished for a bit around noon and then headed back into the woods. Fishing is good for pinks and there are some silvers to be found. Takes being in the right spot to get the silvers, but they are starting to show.

Husband went down about 5:3pm. Finally caught some salmon.(pinks) Will go out again early am . Although we mostly came for Halibut this yr he was not about to go home and say he did not catch any salmon. He wanted them for smoking anyway & we have to leave on Mon.for WI. when I suppose the silvers will be coming in. Have been here since the 1st of July. Now it is back to reality