Thread: Clam Viscera for Bait and Other Questions?

Default Clam Viscera for Bait and Other Questions?

Never tried it but seems as though clam guts would make some good chum...How about added to your shrimp bait? Anyone ever try their shrimp heads for shrimp bait? Do you think shrimp scent attracts other shrimp or maybe the smell of their dead bros and sisses spooks 'em away?

I would think the clam guts will work good but haven't tried it. Anything with a strong scent should. I'm sure they would eat their own given a chance so I don't think heads would hurt either. I've always want to try grinding up a batch of heads and making bait bombs, maybe i'll try this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Do you think shrimp scent attracts other shrimp or maybe the smell of their dead bros and sisses spooks 'em away?
    Been tried. Wasn't all that successful. You end up picking the skulls out of the traps and your pail if you just dump them.

The pellets seem to work best after two days of soaking. A can of cat food salmon dinner assists until that time. I have even used chicken favored dog food. At times, that worked great, some times.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

If I remember right I don't think shrimp are cannibals, but crab will eat anything so maybe try them in the crab pots? Might work for attracting fish to, clam might work for all of them.

Clam parts do work for bait but just plain pellets work great too.
    I didn't see an increase in catch rate or quantity, this it didn't seem worth the hassle.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

heads no good
    fleas no good

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692