Thread: Another Planar Install

Default Another Planar Install

Getting ready to install my new Planar I picked up from Brian to replace a finicky Atwood propane furnace that's on the boat. Should be a lot smaller and free up a lot of storage space.

Couple Questions:

What's the deal with the Hot Box setup? I have seen folks mention it, but what do you use it for? I have a nice comparment under the seat that would be easy to pipe heat to. Thinking it would be nice for warming or drying out gloves.

Has anyone tried putting a snowmachine hotdogger or muff pot on the exhaust? Seems like it could make for nice hot lunches on cold days.

Bquad,
    Shoot me a text and I can get you some heater box pics.
    With tapatalk down, I cannot post pics.

Your seat box would be great as a hot box. Essentially your just making a mini dryer that your pumping hot air through. Toss your wet gloves, soaked sneaker, kids pants, etc into it and they will be dry shortly.
    Same for warming up food in foil, pizza, breakfast burritos, etc... Toss them in there and they come out hot.
    My girls put their change of clothes in the night before, nice and toasty to put on in the morning;-)
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thanks, hoping to install Friday and will take some pics and measure for the hot box area. Will drop a line or give you a call sometime.

Default Got 'er done

IMG_0890.jpgIMG_0889.jpg

Got the heater installed, went pretty smoothly. Tucked under the gunnel area very nicely, would have mounted it even higher, but wasn't sure how hot the top would get, it stays suprisingly cool. Puts out a lot of heat and was sure nice waking up to a warm cabin and fog free windows.

You rock buddy!
    Looks great. Years of toasty warm boating ahead.
    Did you manage to incorporate a hot box into the system?
    Heres a couple that made use of an existing space and another out of wood.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

No hot box yet, just did a T duct to blow heat to passenger and 4” duct under the dash to blow heat over to the capt/rest of the cabin. Will be figuring something out for a hot box though. The T is big enough to toss one pair of gloves in and threw a pack of poptarts in there for a snack, both came out toasty. Feels like double the heat output of the propane furnace that was supposed to have about the same BTU’s, much more effective fan and better duct placement helps too.