Thread: Report for Wednesday

Default Report for Wednesday

I've got two friends and their kids down there, and they caught over 100 hundred today, and only quit because they hit their limits.
    They said the fishin' was HOT!!

I was down there as well. A friend and I dipped from a boat from 6am-1pm. From 6-9 it was really good. We had some technical difficulties, but still managed to put almost 40 in the cooler in the first 3 hours. From 9-noon it was nearly dead, though, with only an additional 4 fish landed. It then picked up again, not quite as good as the morning, but good enough to allow us to quit at 1:00 with 61 fish in the boat (2 of which were kings and one early silver).

By far the best day I've ever had there, though it's only my 4th attempt. Filleting 60 fish will make a man question whether he wants to do it again, but now that I'm home I'm already thinking of next time.

For an additional report.....a friend and I went down and fished on late Tuesday and early Wednesday. All our fishing was from a boat. On Tuesday we fished from 7:30pm to 10:30pm and caught 17 total. Launching and retrieval of the boat was very fast....no real lines. On Wednesday we started at 8:30am and caught 42 in 1.5 hours. We stopped because we had enough to deal with considering our time constraints. No launching delay, but removing the boat was a bout a 45 min wait. Brian, surprised to hear you say it slowed for you at 9am. We left at 10 and it still seemed to still be going gangbusters. Maybe you weren't in a boat? Congrats, good fishing nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Brian, surprised to hear you say it slowed for you at 9am. We left at 10 and it still seemed to still be going gangbusters. Maybe you weren't in a boat? Congrats, good fishing nonetheless.
    I wasn't the one with the watch, so maybe it was 10 when it slowed down. It certainly did, though, and we were in a boat. I can't complain, however, as it got better again and now I'm about to start vacuum packing 122 fillets.

I must have missed something somewhere. Which river are you talking about? I have not dipnetted before, but I am thinking of giving it a try. Thanks, Rob

PS I am in Fairbanks, so I know a drive is in store for me. Any suggestions on which direction to head?

Default the new "South central Alaska dipnetting association"

Everyone, Please let me introduce myself. I started the South central Alaska dipnetting association (SCADA) this year. I got tired of the assault on dipnetters, like last years attempt to cut us back to three fish a day. We are forming a 501 non- profit. I have handed out over 1000 cover sheets and application forms on all three beaches of the Kenai and the Kasilof. Come February of 2008, we are facing again:

Reducing dipnetters to three fish a day

Eliminating windows- no mandatory commercial fisheries closures

Reducing the household limits- less fish for your freezer

If you value your dipnetting opportunities please help. Pass the word!We need to get as many people as possible to join this fight. No one is taking fish out of my freezer, If I can help it, and I will be ****ed if I let them take it out of yours too.
    Let your voices be heard-- Join SCADA today My contact info is
    SCADA, P.O. Box 873641, Wasilla// 907-715-8363// Federico@ptialaska.net

First time dipnetting this Saturday on the Kenai. Caught two fish in 5 hours, but that was better than most.

Kind of disappointing considering the "stories" of abundance I heard. The freezer's going to be pretty bare this year. Must have been too late on the run

We were there last Wednessday too. Fished High tide in the afternoon (3PM-7PM) 41 fish caught that limits us out. Seemed like they were still catching them after we were done.

Talking fished friday

I fished friday with a buddy of mine from 11 am till 7 pm. Netted 70 fish total with two nets, from a boat. It was pretty steady all day with only one double, and no kings one pink, and no flounder. lost probably thirty more due to soft hits and several times almost being rammed. Saw three nets ripped through while in the water. I mean completely torn out. Figuired they had a king hit the net. fish changed depth and distance from shore quite a bit so there would be occasional dry spells for a few minutes until we figured out the new depth. In the end we only made one drift alond the bank without at least one fish, and our best drift yielded eight fish. our limit was 120 fish between the two of us, but with the size of these fish 70 was all we needed. We ended up with 249 lbs of fillets. Its nice to not have to worry about filling the freezer. Now for the silvers. Valdez here I come

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    Its nice to not have to worry about filling the freezer.
    Truer words have not been spoken!

I did the math, thats 1950$~ In fillets ya got there and thats with sale price, put at 8 dollars a pound, not bad