Thread: Garmin 796.. OR... iPad in Air Gizmo mount in center panal ???

Default Garmin 796.. OR... iPad in Air Gizmo mount in center panal ???

Now that I have gutted all the old radios and audio panel out of my 180, I am looking at putting an Air Gizmo docking mount where the radio stack used to be...
    I am debating a Garmin 796 or using some sort of iPad. The eventual goal is to have it link up to an ADS-B transponder to show traffic.

Now that I am out of cash, I am having a hard time figuring out which way to go...
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

I'm having the same internal discussion. I really like how the 796 would look and function in the panel for a long term solution, but I really like filing my flight plans with Garmin Pilot Pro on my iPad.

I got home from a drive up to Kenai and Soldotna.
    The avionics place on Kenai field had new in box 796s for $1499. The Air Gizmo docking mount is another $200.
    The folks there also said that Garmin has announced that it is no longer going to be building 796s.

I looked around on the internet for a used 696 or 695 and they are like hens teeth. Too bad since they are a nice unit without the touch screen issues.

Then I checked Wally World and Fred Meyers for a iPad Mini 4. NONE IN STOCK.
    The kid at Fred Meyers said they stopped carrying the iPad 4 with the cell phone ( has the GPS ) ...
    So that was a wasted bunch of shopping.....

I bought a new mini 5 and Status 3 last week, bought the ipad from Apple.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Over on the Back Country Pilots site there is a good thread by a guy from Sterling who has had nothing but problems with his mini-5.

Does the Stratus 3 work with Apple OS, ? I thought the 3 was for android, and the 2s for apple... Maybe I am confused about that too....

I have flown about 10 hours with the combo, 5 hours around Fairbanks and the other 5 hours in the Talkeetna's, have had no issues at all. I'm running it with Foreflight and the latest Apple IOS.

Any other advantages to the 5 over the 4 ??
    Are you seeing other traffic on your screen due to the stratus sending the info over to your screen. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Any other advantages to the 5 over the 4 ??
    Are you seeing other traffic on your screen due to the stratus sending the info over to your screen. ?
    The 5 has a newer processor and display, they use the same form factor. I did have to buy a new ram mount for the 5 as the mini 3 I was using is larger. If I was wanting to save a buck or 2 I'm sure the mini 4 would be fine as my mini 3 was working Okay other than I ran out of storage space.

I do get traffic with the Status, very handy and as others have said, surprising to see how hard some traffic is to see with the eye. Foreflight is such a great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The 5 has a newer processor and display, they use the same form factor. I did have to buy a new ram mount for the 5 as the mini 3 I was using is larger. If I was wanting to save a buck or 2 I'm sure the mini 4 would be fine as my mini 3 was working Okay other than I ran out of storage space.

I do get traffic with the Status, very handy and as others have said, surprising to see how hard some traffic is to see with the eye. Foreflight is such a great tool.
    With your Stratus you'll never have the GPS issues the other fellow had has he was just using the internal GPS in the iPad. I use a 9.7" iPad on a kneeboard although a lot of the time it's in the backseat. Feed it with a Garmin GLO which works wonderfully.

I'm going to put a new panel in my Sedan and was leaning towards the 796 install but with it sounding like a replacement for it is coming soon I may hold off. It's hard to cut a hole for an Airgizmo mount only to find out the new technology won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    With your Stratus you'll never have the GPS issues the other fellow had has he was just using the internal GPS in the iPad. I use a 9.7" iPad on a kneeboard although a lot of the time it's in the backseat. Feed it with a Garmin GLO which works wonderfully.

I'm going to put a new panel in my Sedan and was leaning towards the 796 install but with it sounding like a replacement for it is coming soon I may hold off. It's hard to cut a hole for an Airgizmo mount only to find out the new technology won't fit.
    That sounds about right, here is a screen shot when from when I landed on the Swiftsure Glacier, you can see that the recording cut out as I dropped down into the glacier bowl on base and final. Worked perfect when I used the Stratus.

Thanks for the tip.

That's cool!!

STID, is that map image from ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot. It looks very detailed and I was told, ( maybe incorrectly) that Foreflight had limited detail on their displays...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    STID, is that map image from ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot. It looks very detailed and I was told, ( maybe incorrectly) that Foreflight had limited detail on their displays...
    It is from Google Earth in 3D, I record my flight track and exported it to GE and screen shot the the image. But the maps in Foreflight are very detailed.

796 is nice. We have them in our scoopers. They are on their second and third seasons. The one in my plane is already having issues with the touch screen, particularly where they get touched a lot.

Most of us at work also have Ipads with foreflight or Garmin pilot. Great for preflighting as well as in flight. Several of us also use navionics app to check water depth and obstacles in proposed scooping sites. FP would like this app. Cant do that with a 796.

If the 796 wasn't already installed in the scooper, I'd just use my Ipad. I will be installing an Ipad mount in my 180 when I get done with the same project PF just undertook.

A couple co-workers have the new 5. It's very fast, and apparently brighter then the older versions. Word of wisdom... buy the biggest one you can, with data, whether or not you use the data, the built in GPS is almost necessary.

I will be buying a mini 5 now