Thread: Question Ref. Low AGL "Military Aircraft" over inhabited area...???

Default Question Ref. Low AGL "Military Aircraft" over inhabited area...???

Is there any restrictions for low flight of "Military Aircraft" over non MOA civilian inhibited area...??? Fixed wing or rotary.
    Part One https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cfnrock.shtml
    There is also a Part Two

How low and how inhabited....????
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    How low and how inhabited....????
    Well........is the regulation calibrated for number of inhabitants.......???? Or is there even a regulation.......???
    There is also a Part Two

Yes there is a regulation.
    ·91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
    Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the
    following altitudes;
    (a) ·Anywhere. ·An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue
    hazard to persons or property on the surface.
    (b) ·Over congested areas. ·Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any
    open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a
    horizontal radius of 2.000 feet of the aircraft.
    (c) ·Over other than congested areas.
    An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In
    that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or
    structure.
    (d) ·Helicopters. ·Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph
    (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the
    surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes
    specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
    ·Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft.
    The reason? The helicopter's unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is its
    ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power failure. Further, the helicopter's
    increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added
    flexibility in the application of many FAA provisions.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Yes there is a regulation.

(d) ·Helicopters. ·Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph
    (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the
    surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes
    specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
    ·Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft.
    The reason? The helicopter's unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is its
    ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power failure. Further, the helicopter's
    increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added
    flexibility in the application of many FAA provisions.
    OK.........Thank you.

So.......The military has ZERO regulations relevant to operation of military aircraft, other then those of the FAA. Correct......???
    There is also a Part Two

Not entirely correct. The military has to follow FAA rules, as well as National Park Service rules- aka IIRC, 2000 minimum over Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. However there are certain "off limits" areas that the military imposes on itself.

There are various circles drawn on charts in which military pilots are instructed not to fly over. Most of these circles are as a result of complaints filed by citizens, some are things like hospitals, the wildlife center at the head of turnagain arm, etc. I've been out long enough to forget most of these, but I clearly remember being in flight planning briefings where we were told about the no-fly areas near our route.

If you have a specific complaint, you can call the Public Affairs Office, and possibly create your own "no-fly" area.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The military has lots of flight restrictions usually brought on by some civilian with a stick up their butt or a pilot with head in same place. They tend to go away when we are fighting a war that is on the nightly news and come back when the news shifts to who the president is screwing.
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    If you have a specific complaint, you can call the Public Affairs Office, and possibly create your own "no-fly" area.
    I have NO complaints. I have been a commercial pilot for 34 years. I was just curious and wondering why when headed south, the fixed wing military aircraft fly down the center of Turnagain Arm, but the rotary craft operate much lower, and always come down the west side of the Hope Road, once the have passed the city of Hope, AK. going south.

Thanks for the information.
    There is also a Part Two

Might me low mtr's.

Typically, military fixed-wing aircraft are multi-engine, so, if they have a small problem, they can still return to base or fly to the nearest suitable runway. If they experience something catastrophic, they can still zoom-climb, trading airspeed for altitude, and then either eject and let their jet crash harmlessly into the water, or glide over to the shoreline and crash-land on the beach. If they are flying down the middle of the Turnagain Arm, then they are already being "good neighbors" by staying as far away as practical from folks living along the shorelines. Not sure why anyone would want to complain about that?

While most military rotary-wing aircraft are also multi-engine, if they experience something catastrophic in-flight, their inability to zoom & glide means that they must auto-rotate to a landing area that's pretty much right underneath their flight path. Which is why helicopters stay closer to the shoreline. Hope that nobody would want them to risk their lives any more than they already do while defending our country, by flying out over a potentially cold watery grave, for no other purpose than noise abatement!

I'm reminded of a story from England during WW-2. An angry farmer called in to complain about low flying military aircraft disturbing his livestock. The military man who received the farmer's complaint call, asked if the aircraft were "ours (Spitfires) or theirs (Messerschmitts)?" The farmer replied that the planes definitely belonged to the Royal Air Force. The military man told him, "Then I guess their doing a good job, eh?"

There used to be a big billboard sign located just outside of Naval Air Station Whidbey Island WA when I was stationed there. It read, "Please pardon our jet noise, it's the sound of Freedom!" Now that I'm retired and live just outside of JBER, I still agree with that sentiment.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.