Thread: Where to buy Dry Ice - Anchorage/Kenai Pen?

Default Where to buy Dry Ice - Anchorage/Kenai Pen?

Hi all,

Getting ready for our RV trip in mid August and we'll be bringing a couple of ice chests. Any good locations to buy dry ice in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula?

Also, how much dry ice do I need for a 48 qt ice chest and how long does it take to freeze salmon filets?

Thanks!

Default New Sagaya on Old Seward

by Mountain View Sports. I am pretty sure it won't freeze your fish. Just keep it cold. Fun stuff to play with too. I used to work there as a butcher years ago.

10th & M Seafoods has dry ice & I am pretty sure I saw it at Fred Myers

Dry ice will freeze your fish, and do it much faster than ice. For more info on dry ice go to http://www.dryiceinfo.com/ Be careful when you handle it. It will freeze flesh quickly.

We bought some last weekend at Carr's grocery store.

It might be cheaper and a lot more convenient to just take it to a the local fish house and have them freeze and store it for you.

Default Dry Ice

Not sure how long it takes to freeze fillets as I have never used dry ice for that, but I know Fred Meyer on Dimond in Anchorage and Freddies in Slowdotna has it. I think I paid about $1.80/pound if memory serves me!

Wyatt

Default In Solodotna

As I recall, Freddie's and Safeway in Soldotna both have it. It costs about $1.80/lb but the blocks are 12-15 lbs each. That's alot of dry ice.

Just a safety note, if you have the coolers in the the rv, and lots of dry ice sublimating to C02 you could end up with an oxygen deficient atmosphere. Just be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just a safety note, if you have the coolers in the the rv, and lots of dry ice sublimating to C02 you could end up with an oxygen deficient atmosphere. Just be careful.
    We did a search on dry ice before we purchased any. I have used liquid nitrogen for years but never messed with dry ice. Anyway, on the site we read they stated that you shouldn't carry any dry ice inside of a car for more than 20 minutes without rolling the windows down. So as Paul said, be careful.