Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a .300 mag and a 7 mag?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 45.308 View Post
    What you get with 284 Vs 308 is higher BC and SD or if it matters better ballistics. Will any animal know the difference, nope they don't care about ballistics or the head stamp. Will it matter within normal hunting ranges, depends on whom you ask but generally a higher SD translates into a deeper or better wound channel. BC has flatter trajectory and easier wind calls.
    SD and BC depends on choice of bullet, it's weight and design, rather than just Caliber. Caliber is only part of the calculation.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I hunted with both the 300 and 7mag, sold the 300 and used the 7mag for 30 years in Alaska. The 7mag is one of the best sheep killers out there. It is a very flat shooter, and as stated previously, put a 175 gr in it and drop a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I hunted with both the 300 and 7mag, sold the 300 and used the 7mag for 30 years in Alaska. The 7mag is one of the best sheep killers out there. It is a very flat shooter, and as stated previously, put a 175 gr in it and drop a moose.
    Just curious, what made the decision for you? What was it that the 7 mag did better than the 300?

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Just curious, what made the decision for you? What was it that the 7 mag did better than the 300?
    flatter shooter, with less recoil. The 300 (Weatherby) that I sold, was not easy on you or the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    flatter shooter, with less recoil. The 300 (Weatherby) that I sold, was not easy on you or the meat.
    That brings up another consideration: at reasonable hunting ranges, with factory ammo for bothlets say 175 grain 7 mag vs 180 grain 300 maganyone have a sense of what the difference would be in meat damage? If any.

Both will tear up plenty of meat with improper bullet placement. Not a lot of difference between the two. I hunted for several years with a 7 mag and it worker very well then sold it and ended up buying another then traded it for a 350Rem mag. I came across an early M70 Win in 300H&H which has been my go to rifle for the last 20 years or so. The cool factor of the 7 mag went away when half the hunters I came across were using one. This lead me to the 350 Rem and the 300H&H. I like to use guns that are a bit unusual like 22K Hornet, 25/20, 7mm mauser, 30 and 35 Rem, 358 Norma. Even my 223 is a Rem 700V instead of the boring AR. A guy should be shooting what he likes for what ever reason he wants rather than what the rest of us nutcases like. If you want it go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Both will tear up plenty of meat with improper bullet placement. Not a lot of difference between the two. I hunted for several years with a 7 mag and it worker very well then sold it and ended up buying another then traded it for a 350Rem mag. I came across an early M70 Win in 300H&H which has been my go to rifle for the last 20 years or so. The cool factor of the 7 mag went away when half the hunters I came across were using one. This lead me to the 350 Rem and the 300H&H. I like to use guns that are a bit unusual like 22K Hornet, 25/20, 7mm mauser, 30 and 35 Rem, 358 Norma. Even my 223 is a Rem 700V instead of the boring AR. A guy should be shooting what he likes for what ever reason he wants rather than what the rest of us nutcases like. If you want it go for it.
    I like unusual calibers also. Killed a 9 1/2' Brownie with a Winchester 71 in .348. Took a Caribou with my great grandfather's Winchester 1895 in .405. I killed a huge black bear with a Winchester model 64 in .32 Special. Lots of deer with the same gun, and a couple with the 94 Carbine in .25-35. And lets not forget the Savage 99 in .22 High Power.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    As somebody that just experienced yet another birthday yesterday, I agree, those minutes are precious...!!!
    Ditto! I can have the greatest plans laid for a weekend of fishing or whatever. Then one of the kids will call and ask, "Can you watch our brood this weekend?" I never turn them down and I am never sorry! Those grandkids are such a blessing!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I like unusual calibers also. Killed a 9 1/2' Brownie with a Winchester 71 in .348. Took a Caribou with my great grandfather's Winchester 1895 in .405. I killed a huge black bear with a Winchester model 64 in .32 Special. Lots of deer with the same gun, and a couple with the 94 Carbine in .25-35. And lets not forget the Savage 99 in .22 High Power.
    You know how to live, Smoke:

Nuthin No Hum about your huntin.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Both will tear up plenty of meat with improper bullet placement.
    Improper or not, I've seen the results of the 7mag on little sitka blacktails.not a pretty sight!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Improper or not, I've seen the results of the 7mag on little sitka blacktails.not a pretty sight!
    Shoot them in the neck. Close to the head. DRT.

A 300 mag will tear up meat just as bad if not worse than a 7 mag. Impact velocity and bullet construction are the major of causes of meat damage. Both the 7 mag and the 300 mag are capable of 3200+ MV. This combined with a cup and core bullet makes hamburger with either round. Keep the bullet out of the shoulders and in the heart / lungs and there is not much meat to destroy. I have shot critters with both and know both are quite capable of making large quantities of hamburger if placed in large chunks of meat. Both are capable of taking deer sized animals without destroying lots of meat with careful bullet placement. My main point here is there is just not of difference between the two. If I had to choose one or the other, I'm not sure which I would pick.

A 300 mag will tear up meat just as bad if not worse than a 7 mag. Impact velocity and bullet construction are the major of causes of meat damage. Both the 7 mag and the 300 mag are capable of 3200+ MV. This combined with a cup and core bullet makes hamburger with either round. Keep the bullet out of the shoulders and in the heart / lungs and there is not much meat to destroy. I have shot critters with both and know both are quite capable of making large quantities of hamburger if placed in large chunks of meat. Both are capable of taking deer sized animals without destroying lots of meat with careful bullet placement. My main point here is there is just not of difference between the two. If I had to choose one or the other, I'm not sure which I would pick.
    It's jist like you never left the Greatland, rbuck:

The 160 grain Nosler Partition, is a great 7mm bullet. Federal has it in a FL.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty
    I like to keep tabs on you and a few others to make sure you're not having too much fun without me. The Nosler 160gr partition in 7mm is an excellent bullet but it too will hamburger a bunch of meat if put in a shoulder.

No, all you need is a .338 Winny, a 30-06, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a AR 5.56 and a Marlin 45-70.

You will tear up a lot less meat no matter where you hit it if you use a solid copper bullet like the Barnes X. At least that is my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    No, all you need is a .338 Winny, a 30-06, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a AR 5.56 and a Marlin 45-70.
    And a 12 gauge, a 20 gauge, and a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Dang it. All of these years and I don't have what I need. I guess its not too late to start over. Lets see. I have the 338 covered, the 30-06 I currently have I am about to give away without firing it.. in fact over the last 30 years I have fired fired exactly 2 rounds from a 30-06, 6.5 CM is on the way, 5.56 yep I have 2 of those, and I never had a use for a 45-70. My go-to rifle for 20 years has been a 7mm, I own 2 of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    And a 12 gauge, a 20 gauge, and a .22.

Here it goes:
    .338 THE caliber to have in Alaska. Marginal for BIG bears, but good for everything else.
    30/06 A jack of all trades and a master of none. Not for me. Mediocre at best.
    6.5 Creedmoor Great for kids, women and people with hurt shoulders, etc. Little recoil and good punch. Good for deer and caribou. Black bear.
    AR 5.56 Who doesn't have one?
    Marlin 45-70 Newbies coming/moving to Alaska buy them and later sell them for "serious" rifles once up here.
    12 gauge Who doesn't have one? With slugs a good, cheap "bear deterrent."
    20 gauge Not needed. If one reloads, 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads pattern better and kick less.
    .22 Who doesn't have one? Cheap to own. Great for plinking and small game hunting.

But wait, we forgot my favorite: .300 Winchester. Excellent for everything but big bears. With the right reloads, it is AMAZING!
    Of course, if one goes for BIG BEARS the .375 is MARGINAL.....think 416 Rem or BIGGER instead!

(The opinions above are gleaned from DECADES of a LOT of shooting. But, they are only one person's opinion. Choose what YOU like, it is still a free country!)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    Here it goes:
    .338 THE caliber to have in Alaska. Marginal for BIG bears, but good for everything else.
    30/06 A jack of all trades and a master of none. Not for me. Mediocre at best.
    6.5 Creedmoor Great for kids, women and people with hurt shoulders, etc. Little recoil and good punch. Good for deer and caribou. Black bear.
    AR 5.56 Who doesn't have one?
    Marlin 45-70 Newbies coming/moving to Alaska buy them and later sell them for "serious" rifles once up here.
    12 gauge Who doesn't have one? With slugs a good, cheap "bear deterrent."
    20 gauge Not needed. If one reloads, 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads pattern better and kick less.
    .22 Who doesn't have one? Cheap to own. Great for plinking and small game hunting.

But wait, we forgot my favorite: .300 Winchester. Excellent for everything but big bears. With the right reloads, it is AMAZING!
    Of course, if one goes for BIG BEARS the .375 is MARGINAL.....think 416 Rem or BIGGER instead!

(The opinions above are gleaned from DECADES of a LOT of shooting. But, they are only one person's opinion. Choose what YOU like, it is still a free country!)
    As a non-reloader, the 20 gauge is a lot of fun and 12 gauge is way overkill for grouse.
    I'll skip the '06 and keep my 308.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast