Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring on the Parks

Suppose I might as well get my yearly post in early. Went 0 for 3 (days) on two well known parks streams this past week. Tried all the aforementioned techniques and blanked. Fished at the confluence of both. Had been assured they were biting. My son did get one bow on a mouse pattern. He only fished one day. I have never fished this early in the year in AK.

Lord willing I will be back in September.
    Doug

aaatrout.com

Quote Originally Posted by BroD View Post
    Suppose I might as well get my yearly post in early. Went 0 for 3 (days) on two well known parks streams this past week. Tried all the aforementioned techniques and blanked. Fished at the confluence of both. Had been assured they were biting. My son did get one bow on a mouse pattern. He only fished one day. I have never fished this early in the year in AK.

Lord willing I will be back in September.
    I did the same too on Friday. Was thinking it was a little odd that I had all of the creeks to myself but figured it's a long summer and I'll have plenty more chances to go and chase trout when they are cooperating

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The past week hasnít been kind to the waters. Theyíve risen and muddied up with rain and spring runoff. I hammered the rainbows 8-10 days ago, landed an average of 20 each day for 4 days, missing several more. Could have had 40 one day if Iíd hooked and landed every bump. But after 4 days of awesone, it died. 2 fish the 5th day and nothing last Friday. Like I said, water was way up, and likely so were the fish by then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57819C09-0F32-48DB-A42E-29510F7FD85D.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	97778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A31AE2B8-1D9C-43DC-B06A-D2D33F30545E.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	97779

Couple more that took a bit more to remove the hook. Donít like taking them out of the water but had to in order to get the hook out safely. Hopefully wecan get another few days of it next week, but I doubt it.

Name:	D2D7740B-369D-4106-8AC9-97ED2F45E5F3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	97780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BE96D75-08B2-4B3A-9C57-E48D85CE1D7A.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	97781

AK Explorer, I like to point out that you more than likey did internal damage to those fish pictured.
    That is NOT how to handel them. Smash down your barbs and you can release without putting them on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan907 View Post
    AK Explorer, I like to point out that you more than likey did internal damage to those fish pictured.
    That is NOT how to handel them. Smash down your barbs and you can release without putting them on the rocks.

I mash my barbs when I'm tying - saves me remembering on the stream. Plus, putting them on the ground isn't going to help much (unless their ultimate destination is the frying pan). Keep 'Em Wet has been doing some great stuff on good catch-and-release, for example: https://www.keepemwet.org/principles-2#principles, including how to photograph fish without putting them under a lot of stress.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I guess you people donít read

i said I donít like to do it and that i try to keep them in the water but these 2 swallowed the hook and i had to lay them down to get the hooks out. I put them back and they swam away just fine and lively.

I don't want to harp on this, but I'm still learning new stuff at my age and I figure other people can, too. If it gets to the point where you can't get the hook out quickly, cut the leader and let it go, or if the regs say you can keep them, thunk it and gut it. Fish mortality studies have found that fish can die from shock 1/2 hour to several hours after an incident like that even if they initially look fine. I'll note that in the photos where you're holding the fish they're being squeezed pretty hard, too. If they're not going in the pan, give 'em a chance.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I guess Iíll keep them in a little crib in the shallows and monitor them for 30 minutes before releasing them

Smh

you guys need to chill out - I wasnít even squeezing that much, they were just fat and i had to apply just enough pressure to hold them - and if I left the hook in as deep as they were, they would have died, from shock or from the hook. I know how to take care of a fish...and sometimes things just go badly and they die. Thatís just the way it goes. But in all my fishing the last 10 years, I can only think of 2 accidental deaths of any of my fish.

I am ethical, gentle, and always release them healthy as can be. if you donít like the way i handle fish, catch them before i do.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I guess Iíll keep them in a little crib in the shallows and monitor them for 30 minutes before releasing them
    Dude, come on. This is a ridiculous response. No one suggested this. You're not the victim here, don't pretend to be. Learn to handle fish properly, that's all people are suggesting.

you guys need to chill out - I wasnít even squeezing that much, they were just fat and i had to apply just enough pressure to hold them - and if I left the hook in as deep as they were, they would have died, from shock or from the hook. I know how to take care of a fish...and sometimes things just go badly and they die. Thatís just the way it goes. But in all my fishing the last 10 years, I can only think of 2 accidental deaths of any of my fish.
    You are all over the place here. First you excuse your lack of properly holding a fish. Then you never kill fish, then sometimes it just happens, then over 10 years it's only happened twice. Wow, which is it and how would you even know? This is just ridiculous! Stop making excuses and justifying it. Prior to reading the comments, I thought the same thing looking at the pics...those fish probably all died. Allowing a fish to be beaten on the rocks is not better than cutting the line. People here are only trying to help you learn.

I am ethical, gentle, and always release them healthy as can be. if you donít like the way i handle fish, catch them before i do.
    That's like giving yourself a nickname, lol. It doesn't work like that and clearly your perception of yourself is not what others see. Your pics and responses clearly paint an e-picture. No one is perfect, I've done things and continue to do things that aren't always best for the fish, it takes awareness and practice.

Hope you can take something positive away from this thread!

Smh

Based on the photos you did literally squeeze the life out of those two fish and probably many more. Just because they swim off does not mean they are OK. Purchase your self a net, problem solved.

Not to sound like a jerk, but squeezing the fish with your fingers on the belly, and putting them on the ground does not constitute knowing how to handle fish you plan to release. Pinching barbs takes a few seconds to do and makes releases much easier. If you don't want critiques of your handiwork- don't post pics.

The past week hasnít been kind to the waters. Theyíve risen and muddied up with rain and spring runoff. I hammered the rainbows 8-10 days ago, landed an average of 20 each day for 4 days, missing several more. Could have had 40 one day if Iíd hooked and landed every bump. But after 4 days of awesone, it died. 2 fish the 5th day and nothing last Friday. Like I said, water was way up, and likely so were the fish by then.

Name:	57819C09-0F32-48DB-A42E-29510F7FD85D.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	97778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A31AE2B8-1D9C-43DC-B06A-D2D33F30545E.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	97779
    Fish are tough to hold. Period. A two handed hold is a lot gentler on fish that are too fat to easily put a hand around. Don't take the criticism too hard; I think everyone is looking toward keeping released fish their healthiest, not on trying to make you out to be a bad guy. There is a good reason many fish to be released cannot be removed from the water. Kings, steelhead, silvers in some waters. It is because they get hurt badly when on the ground or bottom of a boat. The damage often doesn't happen immediately, but over the course of several days or weeks; the areas of slime loss and scraping on sand turn into lesions, and then necrosis (dead tissue), and eventually death. A deeply hooked fish does better with the hook left in. The hook eventually rusts away and falls out; in the meantime, it keeps the wound from bleeding heavily, acting as a tamponade. (medical term for object left in wound.) Anyhow, tight lines! Sounds like a great week of fishing!

Ok guys

Thanks for the suggestions

I suppose I just got aggravated because I wasnít posting pics for suggestions, but to show that spring on the parks can be good.

goof luck tk all of you

Supporting Member

i like using a net for trout fishing, makes it easy to get a photo, remove hook, and release them while keeping them mostly wet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12