Thread: Port Graham

Default Port Graham

Anybody have information/locations on overnight anchorages up in the bay? Iíd like to spend a few days exploring down there during my trip in Aug. I do have the PWS Cruising Guide which has a little info for K-Bay but itís currently in the boat under shrink-wrap.

First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is contact the village corporation, introduce yourself, outline your plans, and inquire about purchasing a use permit....this is proper etiquette. The waters may be public, the lands decidedly are not.
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is contact the village corporation, introduce yourself, outline your plans, and inquire about purchasing a use permit....this is proper etiquette. The waters may be public, the lands decidedly are not.
    Solid Advice. I've spent a few nights on the hook in the bay. Great spot. Have never ventured off the boat tho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Give Jeff and Lydia a call, super friendly and knowledgeable people.

http://www.alaska-wilderness-adventu...com/index.html

I donít believe they run charters anymore, but consider spending the night with them at their B&B and getting to know the community.

Thanks guys Ė I appreciate the comments.

I didnít plan on getting off the boat, just a quiet, new place to overnight vs Sadie or Tutka. Thanks for the B&B link; I will definitely give them a call, and at least get a reservation for a good home cooked meal and as CD mentioned, get acquainted.

From what little info I can find online, the community seems to support some eco-tourism and other services which I would support with my $$$ to spend time thereĖ nothing against Homer or Seldovia but they pretty much have the market cornered and can be a bit too busy for my taste. It will just be the wife and I for a few days boating/fishing the first week of Aug Ė kind of an anniversary trip. We could have gone to Whittier or Seward, but the co-captain wanted K-Bay for this trip.

Thanks again!

You didn't mention anywhere else but another place to visit if you are going to be out for a few days is to run to Port Chatham, its not too far depending on what kind of boat you are in but there is a lot to explore there, old mine, abandoned village etc.... Its a beautiful little bay with good anchorage and easy shore access. You may also get a sighting of the elusive subspecies Cook Inlet Yeti, not to be confused with the often lighter colored interior Yeti. I have been there several times but as of yet have not gotten to see him.

https://www.alaskamagazine.com/artic...the-mountains/

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    You didn't mention anywhere else but another place to visit if you are going to be out for a few days is to run to Port Chatham, its not too far depending on what kind of boat you are in but there is a lot to explore there, old mine, abandoned village etc.... Its a beautiful little bay with good anchorage and easy shore access. You may also get a sighting of the elusive subspecies Cook Inlet Yeti, not to be confused with the often lighter colored interior Yeti. I have been there several times but as of yet have not gotten to see him.

https://www.alaskamagazine.com/artic...the-mountains/

Koyuktolic and Chatham are on the ďletís seeĒ list weather depending. Maybe check out Elizabeth as well. Iíve got a 220 Pacific Cruiser. Iíve never been past Pogi but have always wanted to see further around the Pen.

Thanks for the link!