Thread: Double Crimp Die for 44 Mag, ??

Question Double Crimp Die for 44 Mag, ??

I was told there is a die from RCBS that is called a double crimp for using with Cast bullets and that it eliminates bullets jumping the crimp from High Recoil in shorter barreled Revolvers. Specifically he said it was for 44mag but I'm wondering if there is one and if there is one for other calibers as well.

Ain't no such thing....unless it was just introduced this week. The only specialty crimp dies are the Lee factory crimp die, and the Redding profile crimp. The profile crimp is a taper crimp with a roll crimp combination die. The Lee is a "squeeze" die and a roll crimp combo. The Lee die squeezes (resizes) the case tighter which is good if it was expanded too much and then if the heavy roll crimp wrinkles the case the carbide ring in the die re-squeezes the wrinkles out as the case is backed out of the die. A heck of an invention. Both work very well for stopping bullet jump.

Rcbs has a good roll crimp on their revolver calibers and all companies make taper crimp dies for handgun calibers that headspace on the case mouth. Generally revolver calibers use a roll crimp and semi-auto calibers use taper crimp. Redding also sells taper crimp dies for revolver calibers and this can be done in a seperate step in addition to the roll crimp. I have used all of these in every straight sided case and they all work to varying degrees. I prefer the Redding profile crimp. Rcbs has a set of dies for revolvers that is designed for cast bullets but has the same type of roll crimp as the others.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Ain't no such thing....unless it was just introduced this week. The only specialty crimp dies are the Lee factory crimp die, and the Redding profile crimp. The profile crimp is a taper crimp with a roll crimp combination die. The Lee is a "squeeze" die and a roll crimp combo. The Lee die squeezes (resizes) the case tighter which is good if it was expanded too much and then if the heavy roll crimp wrinkles the case the carbide ring in the die re-squeezes the wrinkles out as the case is backed out of the die. A heck of an invention. Both work very well for stopping bullet jump.

Rcbs has a good roll crimp on their revolver calibers and all companies make taper crimp dies for handgun calibers that headspace on the case mouth. Generally revolver calibers use a roll crimp and semi-auto calibers use taper crimp. Redding also sells taper crimp dies for revolver calibers and this can be done in a seperate step in addition to the roll crimp. I have used all of these in every straight sided case and they all work to varying degrees. I prefer the Redding profile crimp. Rcbs has a set of dies for revolvers that is designed for cast bullets but has the same type of roll crimp as the others.
    Sounds right Murph, I had some suspisions when I asked if it was RCBS and he said yea with a question mark on his head.

Though Ive yet to have jumped bullets from loading Cast Performance in 44 mag, I have had factory CorBon in 500S&W Mag jump crimp. Sounded like a tool I could use there for a few minutes. Buffalo bore seem to be better crimped but I suppose a guy could run the CorBons thru the crimp die at home to make sure its a good one.

For now Im sticking with the 375gn Barns XPB. Ive had them penetrate things that a 500gn hornady just bounced back and fell at my feet. hehe

I don't the 44 mag generates enough recoil to pull bullits w/ properly sized brass and a std crimp. I've loaded 330 grs to 1300 fps from my 4 5/8" sbh, and they never pulled.