Thread: Double Over/Under Swivel Breach Flintlock .54 Rifle

Default Double Over/Under Swivel Breach Flintlock .54 Rifle

Itís been well over a month since the last post here on the muzzleloading forum, as there just donít seem to be many Alaskan hunters into black powder. After a very long wait for a rifle Iíve wanted for a long time, I finally received my new muzzleloader today. Itís David Prices latest masterpiece, a fairly rare but not uncommon over/ under double barrel swivel breach flintlock rifle...in .54 with both barrels rifled using proprietary lightweight tapered Green Mountain 32Ē tubes. Itís balance is absolutely perfect with an overall weight of just 8.5 lbs. and 48Ē overall. Although Iíve yet to shoot it (Iíll remedy that in the morning), Iíve got targets provided by the master craftsman who created this beauty, having put 10 balls down each barrel...and shooting into an inch at 50 yards with both barrels. Iíve been here now 29 years, and think my win. mags. are now destined for dust in the back of my safe. Using real black (Goex) and one single firelock, Iíve got two primed frizzens igniting 100 plus grains behind a 220 grain patched round ball! Launch the 1st barrel, back to half cock and depress the side lever ever so slightly, rotate the barrels 180 degrees, full cock and launch the 2nd shot! My rifle was built to have been period correct for the time between the French and Indian wars and our American Revolution. To those in the know, Iím feeling my inner ďTimothy MurphyĒ coming out. For fellow firelock lovers, I would really like to hear from any other Alaskans shooting a swivel breach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a spectacular piece! I've handled a few, and I note one big difference in yours. At just 8.5#, that's about the same weight as a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or a T/C Hawken. Both the swivel breech rifles I handled (and didn't get to shoot) weighed over 10# and balanced like a chunk of 1" rebar on a stick. I've handled and shot a couple of Beretta O/U shotguns, and both had major reliability issues.

Looks like a pure winner!

As you note though, having a fine reliable traditional muzzleloader knocks the heck out of your consumption of modern ammo. You just end up not really caring about long shooting and the tribulations of affording good glass. For the price of a modern rifle and decent glass, you've paid for a custom front-stuffer that will steal your heart.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

That's one beautiful smokepole...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Really nice! Thanks for posting.
    Louis Knapp