Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Over/Under Swivel Breach Flintlock .54 Rifle

Great pics hogfamily! That isn't helping cool the fever! Roughneck, I hadn't heard about the rondy on CHS. Do you know if it's at the muzzleloader range? I've been a little out of touch. Seems like most of the Alaskan Muzzleloader clubs websites are down now.
    Louis Knapp

Anybody wanting info on the Rendezvous this weekend up by Chena Hot Springs...hopefully you can read my attachment here. I sure wish I was able to make it, but hope to hear about a great turnout, an awesome time had by all and good weather!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Louis, it’s July 5-14 at Happy Trails Farm on Chena Hot Springs Rd. Address is 1002 Small Woods Trail. It’s about 7 miles up Chena Hot Springs rd from what I was told and they said there would be plenty of big signs to direct everyone in. I am going to try and go up to shoot for a couple days.

Laughingly, it looks like I beatcha on the directions to the Chena Rondy by a mere 4 minutes, Roughneck...it should be a great time! I apologize to all for getting "way off topic with way too much personal TMI"...surely just sayin I cant make it to the range anytime soon, would have sufficed fine! I guess I've gotten a little stir crazy with medically induced "summertime cabin fever" and sure wish I could go hang out with fellow like minded Alaskans "burnin lots of black powder" in some awesome smokepoles. I'm NOT whinin, and am very grateful to at least be able to shoot black powder at home. I can't count the posts here that I've read where guys just drone on, forgetting this is a public forum for all to see for all posterity! To all the great guys here watchin this subject "Muzzleloader Hunting" on this awesome forum...have an awesome summer! To everybody that's complimented my new swivel breech...thank you!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

AlaskaGrizz,

Sorry to hear about you setback.

Thank you for serving our country!

We travel through Wasilla quite often. If you need help with anything my family is a phone call away. I will send our # in PM.

I have four teenage boys that like helping Vets, actually they like helping most anyone. So just let me know.

As soon as you mend we will get out there and burn some BP!

Take care Brother!
    “Move that fat ass Henry!”
    “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Roughneck.

We will be spending time at the Talkeetna Range July 14-21. Anytime during then would work. (The 21st I will be busy with the Military Firearms Range Day).

Hogfamily, PM received and replied to...thank you!

Hogfamily, sounds good those days should work. I will talk it over with my better half and see what days off she has off. Thank you

Thanks much AlaskaGrizz and Roughneck for the directions. I'm definitely going to need to try to work a stop over there into this weekend's schedule. It would be fun to shoot in it but I'd need to take the aperture sights off my Great Plains Rifle and sight it in again to participate in matches. Of course, seeing what the black powder guys here do with open sights, I don't think fancy sights would help change my standing. AlaskaGrizz, so sorry to hear you're laid up with injuries. Sure hope they can get you mended in the near future.
    Louis Knapp

Sounds like you folks are building up to a real fine time! We're lucky to have a bunch of shooters within a couple of miles of each other, but the times are so good I'd drive hours to the same fun. Take a word of advise from an old hand at gatherings. Everyone needs to bring their favorite folding lawn chair. Conversations tend to run long!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

What day of the week will work for y'all?

The range is open the week ends, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00am - 6:00pm.

The weekdays are less busy and the 21st is the Military Firearms and accoutrements Range Day. BTW many firelocks should be present as they were some of the original military firearms.

(I will be posting an up date on the Military Range Day in the Shooting forum soon)

Keep in mind the range could get shut down last minute due to the fire danger.

Looking like Sunday might be the best day for me to drop by the Rondy on Chena Hot Springs Rd. I don't suppose there's any schedule of events, is there? I'm hoping this hot, dry nonsense isn't going to foul things up too bad.
    Louis Knapp

Also check out the related story at the bottom.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...8EBzVOGdVskeQ4

I am probably going to head up to the Rondy tomorrow and stay for a couple days.

Hogfamily, I will let you know as soon as I figure out what days I can be up in Talkeetna

I went over to the Rondy on Sunday. I didn't participate in any shooting. I brought over a couple of pistols but I hadn't got around to taking the aperture sight off of my GPR so I left it home. Ended up doing a little tomahawk and knife throwing and sitting around chatting for a couple hours. I'm not sure if shooting went on later, but the smoke and heat eventually gave me a throbbing sinus headache which made an afternoon nap more tempting than shooting.

Great folks there and the idyllic farm setting out in the hills is just a perfect spot for the camp. I just hope this weather gives us a break.
    Louis Knapp

Louis, I haven’t made it up there yet. Was there any vendors up there? I was thinking about bringing a couple custom muzzleloaders up to possibly sell or trade. Sounds like it was a good time up there.

There were a number of tents but I didn't see anyone who was obviously displaying wares for sale. I didn't look too close at everything, however. I just noticed a couple of guys I knew and hung out with them most of the time. There was one guy showing a Pedersoli Hawken type rifle he was selling. Not a huge crowd but they were saying the Rondy events up here tend to be a little bit more low key than the ones in Southcentral. You might score if you bring some nice guns up. There isn't a huge crowd of traditional muzzleloader types, but a guy who runs a gun store said he was surprised how quickly he turned muzzleloaders Wish I was in the market for a custom rifle but can't see that happening until the kids get through school. What are you looking to sell?
    Louis Knapp

For the several very knowledgable and appreciative Alaskans here on this wonderful forum...who posted in response to my original thread on my .54 swivel breech firelock rifle made by master gunmaker David Price, here is a link to his latest and final installment in a 13 part 16 hour video tutorial series where he is actually building my very own now so called “video rifle”. It is among his very last works at age 81 (after perfecting the long 350 year history since the first known German and Dutch examples where first created), after perfecting his own swivel breech design over four decades ago. At about the 45 minute mark in this video...he then proceeds to introduce it to the world as a completed work of both history and art, then takes it to the range for operational checks and initial sighting in of the iron sights, before shipping it to me here in Alaska. I hope some here...especially Brownbear, Hogfamily, Roughneck, Louis, 4merguide, Dabigmoose, Bruces and others who’ve blessed this thread with favorable comments and compliments, can further appreciate its shared creation, final inspection, firing then initial sighting in prior to finally shipping it to me as the lucky owner last April after a 16 month wait.

https://youtu.be/cwlgFG7hWjE

Wow! Thanks! It just doesn't get any better from history through craftsmanship. Trouble with the truly great old guys, by the time they hit their peak they don't have a lot of years or projects left. Wish they could tack another 30 years onto their lives and production. You are certainly a lucky guy to be there with him.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

AlaskaGrizz,

Thank you for sharing this!

WOW!

I agree with BrownBear.

An Amazing work of art made by a true artist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast