Thread: Yearly RV land rental

Default Yearly RV land rental

My wife, my daughter and I are moving up to Alaska in June of 2020. One of our ideas is to convert a school bus, pack it with 6 inches of closed cell spray foam insulation put in a wood stove and look for a lot to rent. The idea is to save us money instead of renting a house/apartment. We are accustomed to the small space anyhow (we have lived in a 200 square foot tiny home for the last 3 years).

So I guess the question would be is this a thing people are willing to do in the Fairbanks area? Rent or lease land for an RV to full time it through the winter? I feel people would probably be concerned about liability issues or something

i am hesitant to look at RV parks because in my experience (lower 48 experience) they are always packed full of meth heads, crazy alcoholics, heroin addicts or some form of people I would not be comfortable having my young daughter around.

anyway sorry for the long post thanks for any reaponses!

Many years ago I was in AK at our cabin for my summer visit. A gal was trying to shoe horn a tiny Airstream trailer between the trees onto her property/lot. She talked about living there full time. I thought she'd freeze to death the first winter. Many years latter she's still living there; tarps & add ons all around her Airstream.

Most RV parks shut down for winter. We had reservations in one for early spring when we moved our trailer up to start our home building experience. The place was still frozen so it was dry camping. We could dry camp on our land for a lot less!

Our home construction was not done until mid-December and we lived in our trailer until then. First the water (hose) froze and then the sewer pipe froze. It got so cold the refer would not work. I got real friendly with the local propane guy!

We're in a warmer area than Fairbanks. Our area is getting more homes built over time. It is also littered with small cabins and remains of rv stuff where people tried to make it and gave up. It can be done. Good luck!

Or you could use a conex. But anyway, just what every neighborhood wants. Squaters living in a bus.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Or you could use a conex. But anyway, just what every neighborhood wants. Squaters living in a bus.
    Well, it's one thing to live in a bus or shack for awhile when building a main house....I can respect that. But it's the people in the neighborhood that live in said bus or shack forever. Yeah, just what everybody wants.....really adds to the value of the actual REAL houses in the neighborhood!......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd suggest getting an job and buying a real house or cabin

I suppose I didnít look at it that way not trying to lower the value of anyoneís home. I like the conex homes Iíve seen but not looking for a permanent fixture there.

The bus would be a temporary dwelling. The wife wants to stay in anchorage or Fairbanks while we develop our land/build a cabin in tok. Bus is just an idea I was throwing around more than likely we will rent a place. I suppose people living in a big yellow tin can next door isnít the prettiest thing to look at everyday lol

That is interesting about the person living in the airstream, seems like it would be pretty similar to a bus. If we go the bus route it will be a temporary thing while developing and building Iím just assuming on it taking longer than a summer but only time will tell!

i don't think it would be that hard if you were sold on the bus idea, heck i have a lot i would consider renting, but to be honest, renting a dry cabin would be far easier and likely more cost effective. there are plenty of neighborhoods in fairbanks with much worse eyesores than a bus in the woods, so i wouldnt worry about that part too much

Staying in Anchorage is a long haul up to Tok to work on land. Fairbanks would be better but still a bit of a trip.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    i don't think it would be that hard if you were sold on the bus idea, heck i have a lot i would consider renting, but to be honest, renting a dry cabin would be far easier and likely more cost effective. there are plenty of neighborhoods in fairbanks with much worse eyesores than a bus in the woods, so i wouldnt worry about that part too much
    I was under the impression that permanent landowners were required to park at least one junk snowmachine and one wheeled vehicle somewhere on the lot. A habitable bus might be an improvement in many places.

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
    I was under the impression that permanent landowners were required to park at least one junk snowmachine and one wheeled vehicle somewhere on the lot. A habitable bus might be an improvement in many places.
    check...and check, ****! I know in goldstream valley where i live a habitable bus would be better than junk trailers, collapsed barns, rotted out buses that i see every day just on my road.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    check...and check, ****! I know in goldstream valley where i live a habitable bus would be better than junk trailers, collapsed barns, rotted out buses that i see every day just on my road.
    Speaking of junk in the yard, do you know the story on the old plane parked by the highway? Is it a DC-6? Is it a house?

Quote Originally Posted by olympia_lowlife View Post
    That is interesting about the person living in the airstream, seems like it would be pretty similar to a bus. If we go the bus route it will be a temporary thing while developing and building Iím just assuming on it taking longer than a summer but only time will tell!
    Did you find a place? I know of a possible opportunity in Delta Junction....even closer to Tok than Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olympia_lowlife View Post
    The wife wants to stay in anchorage or Fairbanks while we develop our land/build a cabin in tok.
    Staying in Anchorage is a long haul up to Tok to work on land. Fairbanks would be better but still a bit of a trip.
    Yeah. That's like saying we want to stay in Olympia while we work on our place in Idaho... Fairbanks to Tok is a four hour drive.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It