Thread: Limit upped

Default Limit upped

I got a phone call from a buddy that stated the red limit on the kenai was raised to 6. He said it did not affect the russian area but from the power lines down. So is this true or is my buddy way confused.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Smile Limit

It's True and it starts tomorrow 26 July. Remember to drive safe and good luck!!

Thanks ABN and safe and the speed limit is the only way i drive. Good luck to you on the river

Default Russian River area

I know the increase in limits is from the power line down, do they ever increase the limit in the Russian river area??

Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman View Post
    I know the increase in limits is from the power line down, do they ever increase the limit in the Russian river area??
    The late run Russian limit is increased when they can project the lower end of Russian-specific BEG will be exceeded, just like they do in the early run.

Now with regard to the Kenai limit being increased to six and the PU fishery going to 24 hrs... WOW a little perplexing to me. The justification is that they project the lower end of the BEG will be exceeded:
    ADF&G inseason assessments indicate the late-run Kenai River sockeye salmon run will exceed 2,000,000 fish and the lower end of the optimal escapement goal (500,000 – 1,000,000 sockeye salmon) will be achieved. Therefore, it is warranted to liberalize the Kenai River personal use dip net fishery to 24-hours per day.

ADF&G inseason assessments indicate the late-run Kenai River sockeye salmon run will exceed 2,000,000 fish and the lower end of the optimal escapement goal (500,000 – 1,000,000 sockeye salmon) will be achieved. Therefore, it is warranted to increase the bag and possession limit for salmon, other than king salmon, to six per day and in possession, of which no more than two may be coho salmon.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/eonr/Devpdf/2007/R2/Sol%20-%202-RS-1-31-07%20Kenai%20dipnet%20EO.pdf

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...sport%20EO.pdf

Yet in another web-posted document for the 2007 management plan they state:

If the forecast is for a run between 2 and 4 million sockeye salmon (as it is this year), the department shall manage for an inriver goal range of 750,000–950,000 sockeye salmon and may allow an additional 51 hours of set gillnet fishing time per week as well as the two, 12-hour
    regular periods.
    http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...ockeye07mp.pdf

Will the real plan please stand up?

Are we managing for 500K inriver or are we managing for 750K inriver as the lower end of goal?

Not a diss Marcus, just looking for some clarification where the management actions seem to be in conflict with the stated management objectives.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

The sport and personal use fisheries have different stipulations from the commercial fishery for allowing liberalizations of those fisheries. Under the management plan, the sport fishery can be liberalized when the run to the Kenai River is projected to exceed 2 million and the lower end of the OEG will be achieved. Same with the personal use fishery.

The inriver goal is an allocation set by the BOF to the sport fishery in order to help prevent disruption to that fishery. It takes into account harvest above the river mile 19 sonar project. Without an inriver goal, commercial fisheries would only be obligated to put enough fish in the river to meet the lower end of the SEG (there is no BEG for the river) leaving little harvest for inriver users.

The Kenai is loaded with goals and its easy to get confused. It has an SEG of 500,000 to 800,000, an OEG of 500,000 to 1,000,000, and a series of inriver goals depending on run size. F&G sets the SEG, the BOF sets the OEG and inriver goal.

Thanks! Got it, akkona... I think?

So if I understand you correctly the comm fish schedule is being managed to allow 750-950K into the river past the sonar.

The sportfishery is being managed to meet the OEG minimum of 500K. Once that number can be projected within a total run-size of at least 2 million, the PU and rod-reel fisheries can then be liberalized accordingly.

Is that the gist of it?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

You got it.

Dang now my brain is way to full. LOL thanks for all the info folks

Default not the whole picture.

Just to confuse the situation some more and correct one mistake in the discussion. The inriver goal of 750,000 to 950,000 is a goal for both divisions to meet at the sonar counter. It has an allocation of 250,000 to 450,000 sockeye for the sport fishery above the sonar counter, which includes the Russian River harvest. Therefore, if the lower river sport fishery and personal use fishery combine with the commercial fishery to not achieve that goal range then the ADF&G has failed. They also fail if the sport harvest takes the number of spawners below 500,000 regardless of what the sonar counter is. The idea sport fish division acts independent of commercial fisheries division is not true. They must work together to get these numbers. However, under past administrations they have not played well together and thus the confusion in the public on who is doing what. It is a real mess when that happens.

Second, the 500,000 minimum number of spawners is not a level for every year. The ADF&G is required to spread the escapements in the OEG range. Since the upper end has been exceeded more than the lower end it is reasonable to put additional harvest on for this year. However, it is not a given every year.

Finally, the plans are actually very clear if one understands the location of the sonar, the various fisheries, and the what the goals mean. However, for a typical fisherman it is confusing since they do not know that language. However, the managers do and that is why they make the calls.

Hope this helps.

Default Russian Limits

Okay let me ask the question in a different way. I know ADF&G has limits to how many fish they want to come up the river and how many they expect to be harvested. I know it is a very complicated system and the only thing we can hope is they do the right thing.

All I want to know is in the past years have they increased the limits around the Russian river fly fishing area??

Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman View Post

All I want to know is in the past years have they increased the limits around the Russian river fly fishing area??
    Yes.......
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up Thank you. . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Will the real plan please stand up?

Are we managing for 500K inriver or are we managing for 750K inriver as the lower end of goal?

Not a diss Marcus, just looking for some clarification where the management actions seem to be in conflict with the stated management objectives.
    Appreciate that, doc—that you're not "dissing" our managers. It's real easy to pose questions that are, in reality, criticisms designed to sow seeds of doubt and discontent. Thanks for not doing that.

Have you ever considered, when confronted with a question as you ask above, of contacting ADF&G directly for a professional answer? That way you could post the question and its answer here at the same time, educating as it were those of us with no resource management degrees.

Marcus - Doc could check with the fish managers and post the question and the answer, as you suggest, but I think his point was that he shouldn't have to. The regs ought to be clear enough for the average angler to understand them and their purpose.

But we're talking about the Kenai River here....... Given the various fisheries, the fish species, the vast number of people involved in the fisheries, and numerous methods of taking these fish, it's not surprising that the fishing regs are more complicated than any place that I know of.