Thread: Cost increase for Primers and Brass

Default Cost increase for Primers and Brass

One of the local Kenai Gunshops was told Brass would increase 15% or more in the next few months. Also there is a fear developing about yet another Primer shortage and possible increase in cost for them. Anyone else heard anything about this.

Well, I was on ebay last night looking for last minute deals on larger brass cases and such. One of the guys who was auctioning some had written that in Sept. there was supposed to be large increases in ammo prices. I wasn't sure if he was just tryin' to get people to bite or not. I assume after the ammo/component price hikes of January that it very well could be so!

I've been gobbling up any and all "cheap" bullets and brass, powder and primers that I could. I was fortunate to come across a local store that had several boxes of Winchester primers (mostly small pistol) for only $16/1000! They also had 100-count little zip-lock bags of 9mm 115gr. HPs (unknown make) for $5.99. I grabbed about 4 or 5 of 'em. Also, the local Gander Mountain had a whole pile of old (from the look of the boxes) CCI small rifle benchrest primers for only $17 or $18/1000. Those are usually $34/1000, even before the big price increases! Got a couple of those too!

I wish I had a warehouse to store this stuff in, and some more money to stock up! A guy could really get out of hand trying to buy any and all deals he came across.

Dave

Arrow Cost increases in September

My suppliers down here have all been telling me since June that there will be a 15% increase in ammo, brass and bullets the first part of September.I buy from several well known large wholesalers so if you are getting low or have a hard to find for caliber I would sure stock up now.The cause seems to be as usual, greed, it seems China is buying all the metal products we will sell them and of course will sell anybody anything for enough money never mind our needs here or the fact it may be literally shot back at us.....I think the most important thing a little fish in a big ocean can do in this case is vote and don't be afraid to pick up that phone or write a letter to your congressman or woman they only worry about what they do when they hear direct from us in large loud numbers and in this case the wheel making the most noise really does get the most grease...Sorry didn't mean to go on tear....and by all means stock up now.....Ronnie
    Last edited by Ronnie; 08-11-2007 at 09:01. Reason: gramar

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKWannabe View Post
    I've been gobbling up any and all "cheap" bullets and brass, powder and primers that I could. I was fortunate to come across a local store that had several boxes of Winchester primers (mostly small pistol) for only $16/1000! They also had 100-count little zip-lock bags of 9mm 115gr. HPs (unknown make) for $5.99. I grabbed about 4 or 5 of 'em. Also, the local Gander

Dave
    This is the first I've heard of a price increase, but frankly, I'd be happy to pay more, if more, was more available. It's gettin harder, and harder to find handloading components, especially primers, and powder, 2 things I like to buy locally.

BUT, at least I know now why there is a shortage. Its YOU, you AK Wannabe. You gobbled it. Well, bring it back when you actually become an Alaskan. We can probably use that stuff up here in the Greatland.

(We don't give a darn how they do it outside.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Price increases...

Around these parts, prices have been climbing steadily since spring. Local shop is now asking $25.00 a hundred for 165 Hornady .308 boattails, which is close to a 100% jump for them, they've been available in a few places as late as last April for around $13.00 a box. Three months ago, that's what I'd been paying for Nosler Partitions. Primers are still available, but a friend in Cheyenne mentioned lastnight that primers are mighty tough to get over there, especially Federal's. He also said that all powder is now pushing $30 a pound.
    Powder here has been anywhere between $16 and $22 a pound, but it's also already taken a hike in price.

I do not feel this is anything new there always seems to be shortages of different types of reloading components some of these are caused by raw material shortages and some are fueled by the of companys fullfilling military contracts however a lot of times it is simply because the folks we buy our products do not do a very good job of keeping the shelves stocked I run into this all the time the profit margin on reloading components is low so the retailers do not order very often and are constantly out of product they get an order in and we suck it out the door so fast they are out for a month or more before they are restocked.

The only things that I have ben unable to buy have ben Federal small primers,Rem. small rifle primers and a few types of Vihtavori powder. In the case of the fed. primers a friend of mine who is an ATK rep told me Fed. brought several new machines on line this month and should have the shortage fixed in the next few months in the case of Rem I don"t have any idea on the Vihtavori powder I would say some importer did not import enough. In all cases I made substitions and went on.

The idea that it is hard to get reloading components because a non Alaskan grabbed a few good deals is silly. The people that you buy from are not doing a good job of keeping the shelves stocked and making excuses for it. It seems to be an industry wide problem but is magnified in Alaska because you just do not have as many options where you shop as we do in the lower 48.

When I heard about the 15 to 20% increases on ammo and components I *****ed for about 3 minutes and than I got over it. I will just pay it and be thankful for the enjoyment my allready expensive hobby brings me.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

corjack:
    Don't take things so seriously. I was joking with AK Wannabe. If I was seriously suggesting that he personally, was buying enough to effect the market, that would be silly. It should be "obvious to the most casual of observers" that this was not the case.

I said,,,, "I'd be happy to pay more, if more, was more available." So we agree on that aspect anyway. I'm more concerned with availability than price, but price is an issue also, expecially with powder.

Bullets are no problem for me, because I can order from Midway, but powder and primers are a different story. When you hafta pay the hazmet fee it can get expensive in a hurry.

I guess I got used to those great prices at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.