Thread: My Trio Is Complete

Default My Trio Is Complete

Hey Murphy, Well finally, it will be hear by the end of next week or the first part of the following week. Yes I am a complete battery Weatherby man. 257WBY, 300WBY and now a 416WBY. Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, 416 Weatherby Magnum with factory accubrake and rings/bases. It was made in Japan. Rifle is in great shape with exceptional wood. I have not seen a Mark V Deluxe Japan made model w/26" barrel (28" with brake) in much better shape. NRA rating would is 98%+. I know it is wood but I need some wood in one of my three Weatherby's. Yes, I am going to finally get to Alaska and I know it will be wet, but the wood will give me the warm feeling and the as a friend said, "the latest wonder oil will protect it."

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up

Nice rifle BT, looks light and dainty, too. I haven't loaded for a 416 Wby in along while, have you got dies yet? That is one butt kicker round, on both ends. Enjoy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Nice rifle BT, looks light and dainty, too. I haven't loaded for a 416 Wby in along while, have you got dies yet? That is one butt kicker round, on both ends. Enjoy.
    Don't have any of my reloading stuff yet. Need to do some research first. I know that I will be trying the Barnes TSX as well as some others. I need to know what powders and bullets that have preformed well for others are so as to save my self some money. If you are anyone has some ideas what powders work best in the 416WBY and bullets weights I would appreciate it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, I have discovered from some people I know who told me RL-22, RL-19, and MagPro would give top velocity with less pressure and good accuracy. Barnes solid when I go to Tanzania. Have to go there this Nov. for bus. so I will be setting up a future trip when I get there with my friend who lives there and is a guide. When it comes to the bears, if I can get it to shoot I will be using the TSX 350gr. If anyone on the forum uses a 416WBY or has and reloads or uses factory ammo they really liked it truly would be appriciated to know. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have used RL-22 and H&IMR 4831 with this one and will give you all my loading notes if you take me to Tanzania with ya'.

Those Scrawny little Mbogo in the Selous don't need the likes of the big 416 WBY, a 30-06 will do just fine. :-)

The Wby doesn't have to be loaded to 400 at 2700 to be effective. I would use 400 at about 2450-2500 and enjoy it more. If you just take the one rifle, you could load the 350's at 2750 for little stuff out yonder. I've sent lots of loads for the WBY calibers to Africa and with very good results. I've taken only the 340, myself. It works if you get in close.

Where 'bouts are you headed? Moyowosi or Selous?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have used RL-22 and H&IMR 4831 with this one and will give you all my loading notes if you take me to Tanzania with ya'.

Those Scrawny little Mbogo in the Selous don't need the likes of the big 416 WBY, a 30-06 will do just fine. :-)

The Wby doesn't have to be loaded to 400 at 2700 to be effective. I would use 400 at about 2450-2500 and enjoy it more. If you just take the one rifle, you could load the 350's at 2750 for little stuff out yonder. I've sent lots of loads for the WBY calibers to Africa and with very good results. I've taken only the 340, myself. It works if you get in close.

Where 'bouts are you headed? Moyowosi or Selous?
    It will be around Moshi also not to far from where the Ghost in The Darkness movie was all about where the two man eating lions came from that I believe are now in a museum in Chicago.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    It will be around Moshi also not to far from where the Ghost in The Darkness movie was all about where the two man eating lions came from that I believe are now in a museum in Chicago.
    Up north in the shadow of Kili mountain. It's always cloudy and you can't see the tops. The lions up there don't have manes. You should go see the Ngororo and the 'getti, where are you hunting?

Up north in the shadow of Kili mountain. It's always cloudy and you can't see the tops. The lions up there don't have manes. You should go see the Ngororo and the 'getti, where are you hunting?
    Won't find out until Cy my friend tells me in Nov. We are suppose to work that out then. He is good so where ever he says that will be fine with me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Murphy, my thinking is that I can send according to my friends who are doing it right now and hunting with the 416, are sending a 350gr TSX at 2890fps down range. +3"high at 100yds Zero is 265yds and -10" at 370yds. So my 3-9x40mm might not be a bad scope for the 416WBY, what do you think? Second, you and some others have really held the A-Frame up in heavy cartridges. Swift makes a 350gr and a 400gr. I think I am going to try the Swift A-Frame. Now here are two different bullets in construction and theory, the TSX and the A-Frame. If I was going hit a bear at 2890fps with a 350gr bullet which one of the two do you think you would like to go with and why?

Also, I might trade my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm for a lower power scope with more eye relief.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Only thing to do to improve that nice rifle will be to lose the worthless Pachmeyr pad and get yourself a nice and thick, red sorbothane pad.

I agree with Murph, take it easy on the velocity and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Only thing to do to improve that nice rifle will be to lose the worthless Pachmeyr pad and get yourself a nice and thick, red sorbothane pad.

I agree with Murph, take it easy on the velocity and have fun.
    Yea, amen on gettin rid of that pad. Buy the way were would I look for a good pad and what brand?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Personally, I like Limbsaver pads but the drawback is that they add too much length to the stock for me.

Beartooth, you are way to curious and enthusiastic to be stopping with the trio. I know that something else has to be at least in the back of your mind and it's got to be more than upgrading all your Buckmasters to Monarchs. Maybe a .50 Barrett? Given the weight, recoil should be a breeze compared to the .460, and given your training regimen you should be able to easily carry it in the field. Just kidding.

Seriously, I hope that everything works out with your trio. You've put a lot of time and effort into developing loads and preparing for your hunts. Good shooting and let's see some picts of the critters. Good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Personally, I like Limbsaver pads but the drawback is that they add too much length to the stock for me.

Beartooth, you are way to curious and enthusiastic to be stopping with the trio. I know that something else has to be at least in the back of your mind and it's got to be more than upgrading all your Buckmasters to Monarchs. Maybe a .50 Barrett? Given the weight, recoil should be a breeze compared to the .460, and given your training regimen you should be able to easily carry it in the field. Just kidding.

Seriously, I hope that everything works out with your trio. You've put a lot of time and effort into developing loads and preparing for your hunts. Good shooting and let's see some picts of the critters. Good shooting.
    God willing and the creek don't rise I will. Yep, the only thing now is if someone will trade me a Leupold low power for my Zeiss 3-9x40mm. Got it post in the sell area. Thanks for the encouragment and hope this season trun out great not only for me but for you and all the guys who hunt.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post

God willing and the creek don't rise I will. Yep, the only thing now is if someone will trade me a Leupold low power for my Zeiss 3-9x40mm. Got it posted in the sell area. Thanks for the encouragment and hope this season truns out great not only for me but for you and all the guys on this forum who hunt.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Trio

Hey Beartooth,
    Great looking Weatherby. I'm a Weatherby man myself and have my own trio (actually more than double that number). Anyway mine are 7mm, 300, and 340 and are identical to your 416 except no brake. Also have a Weatherby Alaskan in 338...man I love that one. I'll be using it on my next Alaska Brown Bear in fall of 08. For my next one, I'm thinking 378 or 416 in the Dangerous Game model for Africa, hopefully in a couple years. I've never had any trouble with the wood even in really wet hunts but my last 3 Alaska trips I've carried the 338 Alaskan with the McMillian stock....did I already say I LOVE that rifle! I guess I'll have to "ugly" up the 378 or 416 with a McMillian as well. Congrats on the new rifle and let us know how the hunt goes.
    Good hunting / Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Hey Beartooth,
    Great looking Weatherby. I'm a Weatherby man myself and have my own trio (actually more than double that number). Anyway mine are 7mm, 300, and 340 and are identical to your 416 except no brake. Also have a Weatherby Alaskan in 338...man I love that one. I'll be using it on my next Alaska Brown Bear in fall of 08. For my next one, I'm thinking 378 or 416 in the Dangerous Game model for Africa, hopefully in a couple years. I've never had any trouble with the wood even in really wet hunts but my last 3 Alaska trips I've carried the 338 Alaskan with the McMillian stock....did I already say I LOVE that rifle! I guess I'll have to "ugly" up the 378 or 416 with a McMillian as well. Congrats on the new rifle and let us know how the hunt goes.
    Good hunting / Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, I sure will andI hope you hunting goes well this year.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS