Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADFG leaders tout $11 billion return on agency spending

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think another option might be to charge a tax similar to the city of Anchorages bed tax.
    That is that every charter boat client and every guided Hunter would pay a tax that would be collected by the guide when the charter is paid for.
    It would likely be small to start. Maybe $5 per head.
    Or possibly a % tax. Say 2%.
    That $300 halibut charter would net the state $6 and the $12,000 sheep hunt would net $240.
    These would also be collected from residents using guides as well.
    Just some thoughts on a way to generate tax revenue for the state from a resource worth 11+ billion dollars.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    And therein lies the problem with any new tax. It starts small.

The tourists pay their share although it may be indirectly they generate 2.4 billion in revenue and 1 in 8 jobs.
    Talking about raising taxes on recreational anglers is a tough one.
    Tricky part is to raise taxes with limited impact on the residents.
    Redleader standing by

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    The tourists pay their share although it may be indirectly they generate 2.4 billion in revenue and 1 in 8 jobs.
    Talking about raising taxes on recreational anglers is a tough one.
    Tricky part is to raise taxes with limited impact on the residents.
    It doesn't matter how many local jobs they provide if the state of Alaska goes bankrupt does it? At that point will it really matter?
    Everything starts small taxes start small and our state's budget started a lot smaller than where it is now.
    Besides having a balanced budget we need to find other sources of revenue to fund our state government other than the oil and gas industry.
    And when you tell me the fish and game of Alaska has a value of over 11 billion dollars it seems to me that maybe there are some ways to gain a little extra income from that then what is already being paid.
    The oil and gas industry is the largest private-sector employer in the state providing about 35% of all the jobs here.
    In 2018 they paid $805,577,463 just in oil royalty taxes to the state of Alaska.
    Not including money from lease sales and other various money they pay to the state.
    Conversely all tourism fees combined equaled only $101,000,000 to the state.
    So while tourism is supposedly our second largest employer they only pay 1/8 of what the oil and gas industry pays to the state and that's in all fees not just taxes.
    Many of those fees they pay are used to cover the cost of maintenance and other things for the services they used.
    Seems a bit lopsided to me but if you call that fair then maybe it is?
    The oil and gas industry pays 35% in royalties for extraction of a state-owned resource.
    Just a guess but I would say the average person(tourist, guide, or otherwise) doesn't pay 35% of the value of the fish that they catch or the game that they harvest to the state of Alaska do they?
    But 35% of 11 billion is 3.85 billion dollars.
    (Not that we need to charge anyone at that rate it's just a comparison.)
    Just some more food for thought and my own two cents.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123